cow's head on a UDS.....

It looks really interesting. I would like to try it but I would be a little apprehensive. I think you did a fine job! especially for your first try.

I'd hit that! Thanks for posting - very interesting. :thumb:

So, what exactly did you do with the eye, brain, and tongue? Was it all just mixed together or separated? The taco sure looks good to me. If that was placed in front of me without telling me what was in it, I'm sure I would be hitting it.

Thanks for the skull pic , the meat looks really good, What did you do with the brains?

I smoked a tongue last year...wasn't bad...but wasn't great. The guys at work sure enjoyed it though...I couldn't get anyone at home to try it.. Might have to try this sometime...when the wife is away for awhile :rolleyes:

Thanks for sharing!

That first pic is quite the pic. I think my guests would make a run for the door if they saw that on the counter. Cant wait for the finished product. I have heard it tastes great.

You ain't chittin'...my guests would be too!

Looks good! There are a couple of authentic Mexican joints around here that I go to often, and stuff like lengua is awesome! Great flavor.

Great job, whatcha gonna do with that skull? Put it on the lawn next to the no soliciting sign?!:idea:

So, what exactly did you do with the eye, brain, and tongue? Was it all just mixed together or separated? The taco sure looks good to me. If that was placed in front of me without telling me what was in it, I'm sure I would be hitting it.

I separated the eyes and ate them by themselves then I just mixed the brains, cheek, tongue and everything else together. It may look weird but once you have tasted it you'll like it....:clap2:

Ill be honest i would NOT eat this however i know ALOT of people that swear by this, tongue, cheek, eye, brain, balls, penis etc.

I Have never done a cow head but have always wanted to try one... I am gonna call my local butcher and see if I can come up with one and give it a try.. Snook, I didnt look in the thread:icon_blush: can you tell me your step by step I have got to give this a try.:thumb:

If you didn't tell me what it was and just handed me an already made taco, I'd tear it up!!!:mrgreen:

You did a great job from the looks of it!!!

Ignorance is bliss in this case. Just hand me a taco and don't tell me where it came from!

I Have never done a cow head but have always wanted to try one... I am gonna call my local butcher and see if I can come up with one and give it a try.. Snook, I didnt look in the thread:icon_blush: can you tell me your step by step I have got to give this a try.:thumb:

Well I first loaded the UDS with kingsford and used hickory chunks for this cook. then you cut out the tongue off and set it aside. in my case there was an opening on the top of the skull so that the brains could be removed after cooking but if there is not just make one then season the chit out of the cows head with whatever you like (in my case i used texas bbq rub). I then placed the head in a disposable aluminum pan and loosely wrapped it with foil so that smoke could creep inside. then season the chit out of the tongue and wrap in foil the same way as the head. i set the iQue for 225 for the first 10 hours and set it at 250 for the remaining 8 hours. Once it was at the 13 or 14 hour mark, I checked it with a thermometer but decided to let it get to 195 internal. at the 17 hour 30 min. mark I checked it again and some parts were 195 and others were higher. let it rest then pull the meat apart and mix it together. but set the eyes aside for you (pit master privilege)...they are DELICIOUS....:heh::heh:...when I make another one, I might just leave it at 225 but let it go for a few more hours..I cant wait to make another cows head..just got out of work and gonna have left over barbacoa tacos...mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.....:thumb::thumb:..this was my first time making a whole head so I'm no expert by any means but it turned out great in my opinion .......hope this helped :dancer:

Just to clarify...do people eat the brains?

I wouldn't eat brains of any animal...not due to an aversion, but rather due to the issue of prions.

Back