• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Cast Iron Grates vs. Porcelain Coated Wire Grates in a Offset Smoker

Pappy

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
Granite City, Illinois (Near St. Louis "GO CARDS")
What would be the advantage of having cast iron grates instead of porcelain coated wire (kind of pitted) grates in a offset smoker.

I found some free cast iron grates that will fit my char-broil offset smoker. I think it would make a big change if I were using it as a grill, I don't know about a smoker. I never use it as a grill. It might just be harder to clean up. It might hold the heat better or maybe it will just make the food end up sticking to the grate more. I don't know.
What's your opinion?

I always had an issue with glass around my food, and I love cast iron, so I would go that way. But, my overall preferance is heavy duty expanded steel. Cheap, and holds up really well.

"Cherp....Cherp" Cricket Noise.

I tied the record for views without a reply!

91 views and just got the 1st opinion. I didn't think anything but food could quite this croud. :becky:

One opinion is better than none. Guess I will just have experiment for myself.

Thanks for viewing.

I think CI may be a little more maintenace for a smoker. You can always spray some veggie oil on them as you shut it down. I don't see much of an advantage to having them in a smoker.. just my .02 .

You already know the answer on this one, but while cast iron grates are good for grilling, they're just more trouble than anything on a smoker. My wsm grates are MUCH easier to clean than my Char-griller grates were, and no need to keep seasoned, either.

Cast iron retains heat better than anything else. When well seasoned, they are fantastic and nothing should stick to them. Coated porcelain works well, lasts longer than plain wire grills but doesn't really offer more than that IMO.

I can't see much advantage on a smoker, but free is free.

For indirect cooking I'd go with the wire.
It's easier to clean and maintain and allows more circulation - cast iron grates usually have less open space.

Cast iron grates are great for grilling. Properly seasoned food will no stick to them and clean up is easy.

Back