Anybody ever turn in sliced brisket point?

trohrs123

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Another thread asked if people are cooking just flats for competition. I brought home the point from this weekends comp in NJ. It was so moist and great tasting that I was wondering, besides making burnt ends from it...has anyone turned in slices of the point and if so how did it do?

I have not, but I'm hearing from Head Judges around here that point slices are being turned in.

Not a thing wrong with the meat from the point for sure... probably better fat marbling. But the issue could become the uniformity of the slices. Flats are nice and uniform in shape and the point won't look as pretty in the box.
Having said that... Taste and texture is what gets calls.

I did once a couple years ago and it didn't turn out very well as the slices were very small. A better trim job was needed. I don't know if judges would penalize you for being different. I remember seeing a comment that a judge who got sliced point assumed it was turned in because the flat got screwed up.

I've done it twice and walked both times.

Ya just gotta be creative (real creative) with building the box.

TIM

I did once a couple years ago and it didn't turn out very well as the slices were very small. A better trim job was needed. I don't know if judges would penalize you for being different. I remember seeing a comment that a judge who got sliced point assumed it was turned in because the flat got screwed up.

Yea, That's an issue that's difficult to get around. Judges should never base their score on assumption. They are supposed to judge what's in the box, it's none of their business why you did what you did.

..like assuming you put in pulled chicken an a box because you over cooked it. You may have indeed planned on entering pulled chicken in the first place and if they score down because of it, they are completely in the wrong.

Yea, That's an issue that's difficult to get around. Judges should never base their score on assumption. They are supposed to judge what's in the box, it's none of their business why you did what you did.

..like assuming you put in pulled chicken an a box because you over cooked it. You may have indeed planned on entering pulled chicken in the first place and if they score down because of it, they are completely in the wrong.

Why do you assume judges are judging that way? I'm a master judge and have judged a lot of contest and not once have I seen a peice of meat (pulled chicken, shredded/pulled brisket) that I judged down on because it was turned in the way your describing. If your turnins are good there going to get good scores no matter how you turn them in.
At the Royal a couple of years ago a team turned in Brisket shreeded or pulled however you want to call it. It was some of the best brisket I have had and I scored it that way.

Why do you assume judges are judging that way? I'm a master judge and have judged a lot of contest and not once have I seen a peice of meat (pulled chicken, shredded/pulled brisket) that I judged down on because it was turned in the way your describing. If your turnins are good there going to get good scores no matter how you turn them in.
At the Royal a couple of years ago a team turned in Brisket shreeded or pulled however you want to call it. It was some of the best brisket I have had and I scored it that way.

I agree but I think you may be a diamond at the table... It would be risky not to turn in the flat sliced showcasing the smoke ring and providing a way to test the pull. I agree but risky:)

if you ever get the chance to check out bbqcritic.com you can read all kinds of "crazy" comments from judges about what they assumed the cooks intentions were, comments on too little garnish etc....all kinds of craziness that i try to keep away from now...can be very disturbing knowing i am spending between $700 and $800 per contest and the CBJ's are NOT following KCBS judging criteria...hoping those judges are a minority...

if you ever get the chance to check out bbqcritic.com you can read all kinds of "crazy" comments from judges about what they assumed the cooks intentions were, comments on too little garnish etc....all kinds of craziness that i try to keep away from now...can be very disturbing knowing i am spending between $700 and $800 per contest and the CBJ's are NOT following KCBS judging criteria...hoping those judges are a minority...
me too!

Interesting thought. I imagine you could turn in just about any form, if not specifically omitted. We turned in some gorgeous burnt ends, made from the point cut last weekend, along with our flat slices. Burnt ends were for presentation only though, not to be judged.
We took Second place in Brisket!

I would think you'd have a hard time with uniform slices and the "pull apart" factor with the point end...? I'm thinking the point end would just fall apart.

... We turned in some gorgeous burnt ends, made from the point cut last weekend, along with our flat slices. Burnt ends were for presentation only though, not to be judged....
We took Second place in Brisket!

If its in the box and its not a qualified garnish then it will get judged for taste and tenderness by most if not all of the judges at the table. Chunks of the point have raised more the scores on more than one entry over the years; they've also lowered some when the cook thought "blackened fat" would suffice for "garnish".

You might want to reconsider using meat as garnish....

Why do you assume judges are judging that way?

Because a comment card said so. Did you read this post:
Brew-B-Q said:
I remember seeing a comment that a judge who got sliced point assumed it was turned in because the flat got screwed up.

If its in the box and its not a qualified garnish then it will get judged for taste and tenderness by most if not all of the judges at the table. Chunks of the point have raised more the scores on more than one entry over the years; they've also lowered some when the cook thought "blackened fat" would suffice for "garnish".

You might want to reconsider using meat as garnish....

He was likely competing in a PNWBA event and not KCBS. PNWBA rules are a bit different in this regards. Burnt Ends are only judged for appearance and not taste/tenderness by their rules.

Just making the clarification...

He was likely competing in a PNWBA event and not KCBS. PNWBA rules are a bit different in this regards. Burnt Ends are only judged for appearance and not taste/tenderness by their rules.

Can the judges eat the burnt ends in PNWBA? Because if they can, how could they NOT consider it..just saying

I was talking about PNWBA :thumb:, thank you for the clarification! :)
Although I threw out a batch that looked great but were a bit on the overdone side, and opted for some that looked just as good, but were tender and juicy! :p

It's my personal understanding in PNWBA that "cubed point" is perfectly acceptable to put in the box and the judges will eat it and score for texture and taste. Perhaps I'm wrong but I really did seek some definitive answers because I'd always heard the same thing in years past.

"burnt ends" that they are not allowed to eat are the dry, crusty, more traditional style hunks of meat.

Update... BE's in the form of "cubed point" are perfectly acceptable. PNWBA defines "burnt ends" as chunks of meat with more bark surface than interior meat surface. Those chunks would only be judged for appearance.
Any chunk of brisket, as long as the bark surface area does not exceed the sliced meat surface area, can be judged for taste, texture, and appearance.

Back