Another Popdaddy Tribute Brisky - Pron

Saiko

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
I've played around with wrapping my last few briskys, so thought I would go back to my roots and do a good old Popdaddy Tri-Level Brisky today. Popdaddy (aka "Barbefunkoramaque" aka "Funkmaster South" aka "Pitmaster T" aka "Donnie") has always written some of my favorite posts, and taught me pretty much everything I know about cooking brisket.

My Popdaddy Tri-Level Brisket method for the WSM has been detailed quite a few times, including here: http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=87343

Here are a few pics from todays cook.

160 degrees internal, starting to "weep" as Donnie calls it.
IMG_0009.jpg

Pulled at about 200 degrees internal and probe tender. After about an hour rest in butcher paper in the cooler, I separated the point and flat and cubed the point for burnt ends. Flat went back into the cooler.
IMG_0032.jpg

Burnt ends all done.
IMG_0081.jpg

Flat sliced.
IMG_0056.jpg

Bonus Pic! Publix had a sale this week on T-bones and Porterhouse, so I grilled me up a Porterhouse while I was waiting on the brisky.
IMG_0099.jpg

That's all!

Fantastic Mark. You now a brisket wrapper?

If I competed I would probably wrap with some beef stock just so I could use the juice to brush the slices. For personal consumption, I like both methods. Donnie's Tri-Level is a nice, salty, smokey, peppery brisket which I prefer sometimes. Depends on my mood.

Looks great. How much longer did you leave the burnt ends in for?

Looks great. How much longer did you leave the burnt ends in for?

Hit them with some Bovine Bold rub, sauced with a Blue's Hog / Vinegar sauce mix and then two hours @ about 300 degrees.

There's the beef!

Excellent work, sir! I've been thinking brisket lately...gonna be acting brisket soon. Steak looks great too! :thumb:

very nice brisket and i hope some 12 ounce curls were paired with those burnt ends.

did funk retire?

I was gonna say "that's nice, Donnie will be pleased" and then I saw the date you originally posted this.

Oh well, still nice of you to do.

Back