Bone-in Country Ribs

jeffsee

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Hey guys. The wife is allowing ribs on the uds this weekend, but the country variety. Suggestions for smoking them?

Did some tonight and they dried out real fast Jerky like and not oversomked:tsk:

Jeff, any chance you could post a pic? That could be real helpful.

PITA as it may be, shoot a pic. Country style ribs are not ribs at all. They are from the butt, and the bone is the scapula. Spare ribs are not "country ribs".

How do I know the difference?
If they did not label it, then that is going to make things tricky since you can't compare it to the other kind. Posting pics may help.

Shoulder Cut Country Style Ribs are simply a Boston Butt sawed into strips, while Loin Cut Country Style Ribs are cut from sirloin tip of the pork loin. So think of them as the difference between cooking a Boston Butt and a Pork Sirloin roast...only they are smaller.

Some of them will have some bone in them. In the Shoulder cut ones, there will be a long strip of bone from the blade that is in the Boston Butt. In the loin cut ones, there will also be a strip of bone, but it looks different than the bone in the butt of course. Loin cut are leaner than shoulder cut ones as well.

Around here they label a butt cut into chunks as Country Style Ribs, and typically don't specify shoulder cut or loin cut. It's probably the same in Oshkosh.

Personally, I don't like them cooked in the smoker. Mine usually dry out like Alan's.

Don't shoot me, gang, but I much prefer them either cooked in the crock pot or simmered with sour kraut and red skin potatoes.

If they did not label it, then that is going to make things tricky since you can't compare it to the other kind. Posting pics may help.

Shoulder Cut Country Style Ribs are simply a Boston Butt sawed into strips, while Loin Cut Country Style Ribs are cut from sirloin tip of the pork loin. So think of them as the difference between cooking a Boston Butt and a Pork Sirloin roast...only they are smaller.

Some of them will have some bone in them. In the Shoulder cut ones, there will be a long strip of bone from the blade that is in the Boston Butt. In the loin cut ones, there will also be a strip of bone, but it looks different than the bone in the butt of course. Loin cut are leaner than shoulder cut ones as well.

Thanks for the info. I may have to wait a day. My wife bought them last week and then froze them in vacuum bags. I'll post what I have-maybe it's still obvious to some of you.

I treat the loin cut ribs like pork chops, and the shoulder ones as little boston butts. I forgot to add that...think it might be helpful for ya.

Around here they label a butt cut into chunks as Country Style Ribs, and typically don't specify shoulder cut or loin cut. It's probably the same in Oshkosh.

Personally, I don't like them cooked in the smoker. Mine usually dry out like Alan's.

Don't shoot me, gang, but I much prefer them either cooked in the crock pot or simmered with sour kraut and red skin potatoes.

My first smoke (ever) and on my UDS was last Sunday. I'm dying to fire it up again but have to live within the constraints of my wife's grocery shopping.

I've done the country style ribs a few times, but I usually end up unhappy with the tenderness and end up cooking them into pulled pork.

Butt Cut Country style rib. Bone in or out are great grilled on a kettle or gasser. They are just a thick pork steak at that time.

Dan

I smoke country style ribs all the time.
Depending on the thickness, 4-5 hrs at 250 degrees is how I cook/smoke them.
When it is a blizzard outside I cook them in the oven the same way.
Awesome eats for wife and I.

Pics of "Ribs"

OK, guys. Here are pics of the "ribs."

Attachments

• Photo0072.jpg
    Photo0072.jpg
    111.2 KB · Views: 106
  • Photo0073.jpg
    Photo0073.jpg
    113.1 KB · Views: 104
They look like back ribs with a bit of loin meat. Rib chop?

Those are definitely Loin Cut. You can cook them up like a pork chop.:thumb:

Back