Thread: Cowzilla!
View Single Post
Old 09-06-2010, 09:45 PM   #13
Slamdunkpro
Babbling Farker

The end result:

Interesting cook.
I deviated from my usual routine just a little - I cooked it fat side down and I ran the cooker with water (I usually run it dry).
It went for 14 hours and never got above 170 degrees. We had to leave for my BiL's so we foiled it, threw it in a cambro and drove up to the party.. I probed it when we got there and it had risen to 180 in the flat. I expected it to be chewy, it wasn't. It was very easy to trim and again, there was very little waste. The flat was nice and thick. Texture was perfect. The flavor however, was a little disappointing. It was good, but very mild, almost like a blank canvas. I prefer a more "beefy" taste; I see why people choose these to inject. It also had a slightly "greasy" feel when it was sliced and allowed to set a little. I don't know if this is typical or if this would have abated if I'd let it go all the way to 200.

In conclusion, it was a very nice brisket, well cut, little waste and an easy cook with a very mild flavor. I'll definitely inject the next one. Worth it? Good question, I'm on the fence in this regard. Next up, I'm going to cook a Creekstone Farms Premium Angus

No, there weren't any leftovers..
Spicewine Tandem - "The Beast"
, 2 Vulcan V33's & 1 V9
Brinkman modified upright, Weber Kettle(s); Meadow Creek Pr-24, Super Stealth Mode black & Night Vision Red Thermopens
-----------------
MABA - (Mid Atlantic BBQ Association) President
KCBS Certified Judge - #23289
Slamdunkpro is offline   Reply With Quote