Cowzilla!

Slamdunkpro

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
I'm doing a party for my in-laws and some friends tomorrow so I went to pick up a couple of briskets and a case of ribs. Lo and behold I discovered that my meat wholesaler is stocking Snake River Farms Wagyu. OK, I'll give one a shot. Out he comes with a 22 pounder :shock:
SRF-brisket.jpg

If you're wondering about the size, that's a full sheet pan it's sitting on.

I just finished trimming and rubbing it. One of the things that struck me was how soft the "hard" fat was. Nice cut, very little trim.

Here's cowzilla all rubbed and ready for the cooker.
Cowzilla-1.jpg

That's impressive for sure. Gotta ask ya the price$$$? Also, please, please throw some pron out cooking and finished, and consensus. Thanks. SWEET THERE!

22# Brisket ? Guess you don't have to worry about overcooking the thin end of the flat. That is impressive.

Snake River sold local to you, wow you lucky dog you! Looking forward in seeing your cook.

The end result:
Cowzilla-3.jpg

Interesting cook.
I deviated from my usual routine just a little - I cooked it fat side down and I ran the cooker with water (I usually run it dry).
It went for 14 hours and never got above 170 degrees. We had to leave for my BiL's so we foiled it, threw it in a cambro and drove up to the party.. I probed it when we got there and it had risen to 180 in the flat. I expected it to be chewy, it wasn't. It was very easy to trim and again, there was very little waste. The flat was nice and thick. Texture was perfect. The flavor however, was a little disappointing. It was good, but very mild, almost like a blank canvas. I prefer a more "beefy" taste; I see why people choose these to inject. It also had a slightly "greasy" feel when it was sliced and allowed to set a little. I don't know if this is typical or if this would have abated if I'd let it go all the way to 200.

In conclusion, it was a very nice brisket, well cut, little waste and an easy cook with a very mild flavor. I'll definitely inject the next one. Worth it? Good question, I'm on the fence in this regard. Next up, I'm going to cook a Creekstone Farms Premium Angus

No, there weren't any leftovers..

Back