• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

sorta a first attempt at brisket ( high heat )

bacardi2001

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
ok so i found an actual butcher out here in the valley, no super market but an actual butcher. im not use to the higher prices of good meat. so i got a brisket small just under 3 pounds. i seasoned it with obie-cue's sunshine grilling spice ( pic ) never used or saw it but i like it. put it on at 2:20 pm and used peach chips temps were from 315 to 338 most of the time at 3:40 pm thought i would experiment and put it in an aluminum pan with root beer to cover the bottom of pan, and tented the brisket. at this point it was at 151 degrees. 4:46 pm took it out of pan and back on grill. brisket at this point was at 190 degrees. was thinking and decided to leave it in the pan so at 190 it was at it's plateau, then dropped to 180 and stayed there for an hour and 14 minutes. at 6:23 pm pulled brisket off at 199 degrees and let rest for 10 minutes. sliced it and put it back in the pan with all juices. with some home made bbq sauce actually used this one right here was real good http://www.youtube.com/user/BBQTalk#p/u/9/3NqL5TmXmBQ on a gordita with cheese and for me it was the best meat ive ever done and it was surprisingly tender my neighbor and family liked it. i guess quality of meat does make a difference

Attachments

• CIMG8052.jpg
    CIMG8052.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 222
  • CIMG8056.jpg
    CIMG8056.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 217
  • CIMG8057.jpg
    CIMG8057.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 219
  • CIMG8059.jpg
    CIMG8059.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 217
  • CIMG8060.jpg
    CIMG8060.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 218
I noticed Costco and some of the grocers around here have some small (3-5lbs) briskets, possibly for Passover?

I noticed Costco and some of the grocers around here have some small (3-5lbs) briskets, possibly for Passover?

And St. Patrick's day. My butcher started carrying corned beef briskets like 2 weeks ago.

And that is some fine looking brisket!

Nice looking brisket. I did my first high temp last week on a 6# flat. The temps were very similar to yours. It did take about 5.5 hours but it was the best I've done yet. I'll use high heat everytime now. Congrats on your success.

Looks very Nice and tasty. I saw some at Costco too. They didn't look too bad at all and I might go back today and get one. I got pork ribs going in tomorrow with my wet/dry rub

That's a mighty fine lookin brisky,, could you taste the Root Beer in there?,, that's an interesting soak ya got there...

Looks like you hit a home run. Good butcher shops and even Costco get the flats packaged separately as well. You must ask them to not trim off the fat cap(they will, especially Costco, to a fault: cut too much off, then repackage.) That fat cap will keep it self basting. The shops think these are going to be boiled. Many don't know that the fat cap is money to us smokers.

Looks like you hit a home run. Good butcher shops and even Costco get the flats packaged separately as well. You must ask them to not trim off the fat cap(they will, especially Costco, to a fault: cut too much off, then repackage.) That fat cap will keep it self basting. The shops think these are going to be boiled. Many don't know that the fat cap is money to us smokers.
i wish i too a pic before i opened it but it had a nice cap on it pretty thick after it was nice and jelly like. the butcher said the meat is usda choice angus beef. it was like 14 something for i think it was a 2.88 pounder maybe a little more

Hey Cris, Keep this Avatar,l I can't keep up with you. As for the brisket, that's my next smoke, I think.

Has any one thought about a spell check on this site. I know that I did not go very far with my education, but am i missing something"

Back