View Single Post
Old 02-08-2010, 02:50 PM   #4971
BobBrisket

Name/Nickname : Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunchbox View Post
I love the coalbasket, i'm going to try to find one to use on mine.
Hope you fing one. I thought to myself, 'It can't be that hard to find one of those!" They are really hard to find. It's one of those things when you need one, you can't find em. LOL! The only drawback is the openings on the sides are a bit big, but some expando or grates or wire can make the openings smaller.

Let's talk about this idea I have, just for the sake of conversation. I have the center part of the lid that I cut out still leftover. I know that diffusers and water pans go against the idea of a UDS, but I like experimenting, so please humor me.

On this current drum, I thought about cutting that leftover piece of lid down to about 12 -16 in diameter. Then using the three bolts for the grate support, suspend the lid over the coals with some wire, chain, to each bolt so it acts as a diffuser and suspends right over the coal basket. Grease, fat etc can still drip onto the the diffuser and give that distinctive smell and flavor, but not cause the flare ups. The other idea I had was to take the stock water pan from my WSM an suspend it over the basket in the same fashion and try a cook with a water pan.

What do you all think? Any opinions, insight, etc would be welcome.

Lastly, I thought about welding the lid cut out to the four legs at the bottom of the basket. This would make for a nice ash catcher. Just pull up the basket and the ash comes with it.

I'll be using the metal stand that I have leftover from the Weber Kettle shelf that I had bought a long time ago.
http://store.weber.com/Items/Accesso....aspx?pid=1287
I never liked it as a table for the kettle. I used the wood top as the shelf for my first drum so I still have the metal support leftover. I'm going to attach it to t side of the drum and then use another table that I have left over for the top.
PBC-Courtesy of Poobah, 22.5 Weber Kettles-A, K, DR Stamped, 18.5 Weber Bar-B-Kettle Black and Red, Weber 18.5 Smokey Joe Platinum, Weber Genesis Silver, Lil' Chief Smoker, Discada Set Up,OKJ Highland Offset.
BobBrisket Jr.-MUDS, WSJ Silver
My BEST Compliment....."You're a good cooker, Dad!"--My Son :)
Miss You, Marty and Bull! RIP
BobBrisket is online now   Reply With Quote