Meat Bags?

T

T.K.

On the Pitmasters show on TLC, does anyone know where I can find the bags Myron was using for his briskets & butts after injecting them? Maybe they are unscented trash bags but I would feel funny putting meat into a trash bag then cooking it. :eusa_clap

Thanks

I already deleted the recording I had of that Pitmasters show, so I could not go back and see what you were talking about, but; :idea:I sometimes use the largest of the roasting bags found at my local grocery store. They are made by Reynolds. The size I show in the lousy pic is designed for up to 8 pounds, but they make them for 20 pound turkeys I think... Hope this helps.

Attachments

• reynolds bags 001.jpg
    reynolds bags 001.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 219
I have a Reynolds turkey bag in the pantry. It never dawned on me. :icon_blush:

A two galloon zip lock bag is usually big enough for most cuts of meat...

On the Pitmasters show on TLC, does anyone know where I can find the bags Myron was using for his briskets & butts after injecting them? Maybe they are unscented trash bags but I would feel funny putting meat into a trash bag then cooking it. :eusa_clap

Thanks

Been doing that for 20 years. Just be sure its unscented. And just store the meat in them.

Antoher thing. the editor of this pitmaster show must have continuity problems. Maybe its me but I saw myron spread rub on his meat heavily, then it looked like he washed it off and plopped in in the smoker after washing all the rub off> WTF was that?

It looked like they showed the injection (and resulting bath from the tub) part I assumed would be done before rubbing out of sequence.

Not that I would inject a shoulder.

Didn't see that episode but I normally use 2 or 2.5 gal zip top bags. I have seen larger bags designed for brining turkeys in if you need a bigger one that 2.5 gal.

I use the 2.5 gal bags also. They work great. But am having trouble finding them at the moment.

I have used the 2.5 gallon zip top bags for 12 turkeys and they worked great, but you have to watch the tops. One of mine came open at at a bad time and I had a small mess to clean up.

I just use Glad Trash bags, seems to work fine. Not really trash until you put some in them.

Glad trash bag in an old bucket for brining.

Glad trash bag on the bottom shelf of the fridge for stuff that just has rub and minimal juice.

just my $.02

Resturant Depot has 2 1/2 gal. ziplock style bags. 100 pc. box. Only problem is that they have a weak bottom seam. Don't drop a brisket in the bag while it's being held in midair by someone else.

A lot of trash bags are treated with chemicals to help eliminate odors, and have no requirement to label themselves as being treated.

I will chime in on the big ziplocks. I do take the ziplock bag and double it up in a food compacter bag in case it leaks.

A lot of trash bags are treated with chemicals to help eliminate odors, and have no requirement to label themselves as being treated.

Wouldn't any poly bag work that isn't sold for collecting trash work?

Wouldn't any poly bag work that isn't sold for collecting trash work?
That's a much safer bet for sure.

IMHO, it's best to go with something that was designed with the prospect of having food stored in it to ensure there is no leeching of the plastic into the food. Not all plastics are created equally. If it was not intended or designed with food in mind, they are most likely not going to be required to label any toxicity information.

I used to use trash bags myself until I learned about the chemicals. Since then, I try and stick to things that are designed for use with food prep just to avoid having to "wonder".

I normally use bus tubs but I think I will stick to the Reynolds bag or ziploc.

Thanks everyone.

Back