• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Weber Kettle Lid Question

JiveTurkey

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Quick question, does anyone have any mods to help a Weber Kettle lid fit without losing smoke from under the lid. A couple months back I restored an old Performer I got off of CL and the lid never really fit right from the start. It was a little bent probably from someone dropping it and I got it to fit but it's almost like the lid is too big for the bowl. When its on the kettle I can move it all around as it doesn't fit snug. Is this normal? Will it affect air control for long slow cooks? Just curious. Thanks in advance for any tips.

DSC02376.jpg

Last edited:
I thought about that but the lip on the lid is not very deep, if I put foil or rope it won't sit on the bowl instead it will sit on top of the bowl. Is this normal for weber lids? My other weber doesn't do this.

Mine leaks a little but not that bad...it must be bent like you said. I'd think the foil, athough not real attractive is likely going to be your best bet as you can shape the foil to fit real good.
The other thing I would do is maybe mark the lid and the bottom so you get the lid on the same each time. This way you'll at least be able to know that you have consistent air flow for lower, slower cooks and may mean you have to close the top damper a bit more than if the lid was tighter.
I have to do the same on my UDS so I get consistent air flow.
Good luck.

If I put the lid on like in the picture I get tons of smoke from under the lid. If I spin the lid counter clockwise I get a better seal but for the sake of the loose lid I took that pic last night showing it at it's worse. That's chicken grilling in the pic.

The problem I get from having the lid in the same place all the time (where it fits ok) is that I have my coals in the same place as well, usually indirect. This leaves a nice grease stain on the bottom of the bowl over time and I got me a nice grease fire last time I did some steaks thus prompting me to see if any brethren had any ideas. ***exhale***

p.s. thanks for the replies everybody.

It might be that your kettle is also bent or out of round. Measure the diameter of the kettle in four places, the measurements should all be equal. Also check for flatness of the top of the kettle.

Stop burning newspapers in your Kettle. :shock:

LOL. Smokey ain't it? I'm in the "grill chicken over hot hot hot coals" crowd. 2 second hand test. If you can pull off cooking chicken mega hot without burning it the results are some mighty juicy and tasty chicken!

I reshaped mine back by squeezing it back into shape and that helped a bit. Also, let your kettle gunk up a bit. That'll also help in sealing the lid somewhat....plus your food will taste better....:D

There is no hope, I will be down tomorrow to take it off your hands. That will leave you more room for a UDS.

That's a bummer JiveTurkey. I used to build wood fires in an old 22.5 to keep warm at winter tailgate parties at Soldier Field (Da Bears!). That warped the fark out of the kettle. The lid never fit after that. I scored a 2001 green Performer from CL this past summer ($60). That was the first thing I checked for. I think foil will be the cheapest / best way to go.

all my kettle lids are rather sloppy fitting and yes they will smoke like that if i have something really smoking. normally though the smoke level is just enough that it all goes out the open upper vent. maybe instead of being out of round it might be slightly twisted. does it lay flat on a flat surface ?

does it lay flat on a flat surface ?

Not completely flat, it's a little bent from before. I can't get it 100% perfect but I got it close. Tomorrow I'll see if the bottom bowl is bent and if I have to I'll bend that into shape. It seals pretty well in one position so if I can't get it perfect I'll be okay with what I have. I just thought someone might have a trick or has had that happen to them and knew a simple fix. I'll live. ;)

Thanks for the help Brethren!

If you can live with it...that's all good!
If later on...you get annoyed with it (I let little things like that bother me sometimes)...call up Weber Customer service and order you a new lid... Last I checked they run about $45...They'll send you your color and you'll have that lid for your soon to be built UDS :mrgreen:

You can't go wrong there!

Back