Todays Turkey on my UDS w/Pron

A

Arizona Ugly I

Wow, what a killer bird today! I was very very happy with the results. 24 Hr brine turned out excellent.

Attachments

• turkey on uds in november.jpg
    turkey on uds in november.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 177
  • turkey on uds in november 2.jpg
    turkey on uds in november 2.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 173
  • turkey on uds in november 3.jpg
    turkey on uds in november 3.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 173
  • turkey brine.jpg
    turkey brine.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 174
Details please!

Temps and times? Did you cover it at all?

Soaked the 12# bird for 22 hrs in PatioDaddio's brine in my garage refrig.

I cooked it on Kingsford charcoal, about 4-5#s, and had some very small cherry wood pieces mixed in. I then dumped about 15 lit briquettes on top and added 1 fist sized piece of cherry wood to the top of the pile and we were off to the races. Im looking for good lump here in Phoenix but so far only Home depot carries it. The only cover was the flat drum lid, no foil was used until I pulled the bird and let it rest for 20 minutes and that was the longest 20 minutes ever!!

(I learned that my UDS runs hot with very little wood due to my 4' high x 4" diameter exhaust stack so I tried to plan accordingly. The more I use it the more I learn, next up this week is pulled pork).

I put the bird on my UDS aka "Arizona Ugly I" at noon when the temp hit 310F. The high temp that I saw was 325F with the low @ 295F. The last 40 minutes I started to run low on fuel and my drum temp was dropping (Bird was @ 182F) which slowed the birds cook. Live and learn. At the end only 4 small briquettes were left and a small wood chunk.

I pulled the bird when internal temp was 186F at about 430pm so @ a 4.5 hr smoke. Was easily the best turkey I've ever had, every piece was moist and flavorful.

Not much left as far as left overs go this morning so I feel it was a success. :)

Back