A.C. Legg's Barbecue Seasoning and Rub

R

rcbaughn

Anyone ever used this stuff? Dad gave me a bunch of the individual pack that he was given by someone down in Montgomery when he was in session with the Alabama Legislature last spring. It has MSG and natural hickory smoke flavor in it, but I don't have a problem with either one of those as long as they make the meat taste good.

Maybe someone else has used this stuff, I have it on my first pork butt ever in my mini WSM and am hoping this stuff tastes good and won't make the meat acrid or fake tasting.

I know that a lot of people are thrown off by MSG, but nothing EVER EVER EVER scientifically proved that it was harmful. It was just a big hype that gave America a bad viewpoint on it. Used right, it can really make stuff a ton better.

I use their breakfast sausage seasonings.Good stuff.

I have used their sausage seasoning mixes (Pork, Italian, Polish) and they are good.

I myself was just given a large package, and was going to try it next week. I figure if it's not the best, maybe it can be fixed to be more appealing to my tastes.

I don't need science to tell me my wife can't tolerate msg,thats why I don't use it,but to each his own.

I haven't tried it (yet!), but have found Legg's sausage seasoning to be dang good.

Oh I never meant to say that an allergy may not be present in people! I'm a biology major and there are clear effects of some chemicals on people and MSG is no different!

What I meant was that the long term effects that people associate with it are unwarranted, I.E. the association between aspartame and Alzheimer's/cancer (Which has been substantiated). I think that socially MSG is unaccepted because of bad press that wasn't warranted, but there is no doubt that some people will have allergies to it and not be able to digest it or have undesirable physiological effects from consumption. I am sorry if I offended you in my poor wording there FICracker.

But let me say that this stuff is FARKING AWESOME!!! I foiled the but and finished it in the oven after letting it hit 165 in the smoker, which took about 6 hours, and even after a 4 hour stine wrapped in foil the bark had stayed nice and hard. Other homemade rubs I've used didn't do this and turned to mush and didn't stick, but this stuff stuck like glue and maintained it's integrity.

Unless I want a completely different flavor profile I am going to stick with this stuff for all pork, and even then I may just add coffee/chipotle/whatever flavor I want to it and see how it comes out. It's a great basic rub no doubt if MSG doesn't bother you! Whoever gave this stuff to Dad in the legislature sure did win one 'ole Southern boy over with this stuff. If I can hop in the Trading Post as a late entry this month I am going to use this as my rub for sure to mail out. Maybe I can drum up some long distance business for an Alabama company!

Friend of mine from Huntsville who has been in the "Q" business for 35 years introduced it to me 6 years ago and now I buy it 10#'s at a time, around $50 last time a few years back. Great on pork and poultry. Calera Al is the addy on the label. Hard to find here in Fl in bulk. When I went looking for it in bulk I called them and they gave me the name of a few distributors here in Fl. Most were mom/pop butcher shops.

In my neck of the woods Legg's Sausage Seasoning #10 is used a lot and sold in local grocery stores, weapon of choice for most natives as a BBQ rub.

Back