Teriyaki Rice Bowl

cirk

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
Anyone have any classic recipes for this mainly the traditional teriyaki sauce? Google is all over the place on this. I plan on doing sticky rice, Chimney grilled flank steak, and roasted brussel sprouts.

Any thoughts would be awesome Thanks!

what kind of sauce would you prefer?

shiny, dull...thick, thin...sweet, spicy, savory...I got them all!

For thickening any of the options from that thread DWfisk linked to, I use Yuzu, which is arrowroot starch. However, one could also use potato starch. Arrowroot starch gives the most clear color of any starch.

So which one did you like?

Bob's Tare:
1 cup good dashi (steep 2 cups shaved bonito, 1 4"x4" bonito sheet in 2 cups 165F water, strain)
2 cups shoyu
1/2 cup Mirin (sweet wine)
1/4 cup sake (or sherry)
1/2 cup to 1 cup sugar, honey, sugar and honey, glucose syrup
2 tablespoons grated ginger
1 tablespoon grated garlic
1/2 teaspoon citrus zest, lemon and grapefruit work great, yuzu if you an get it
2 dried shiitake mushrooms, reconstituted, save water

Bob's Tare:
1 cup good dashi (steep 2 cups shaved bonito, 1 4"x4" bonito sheet in 2 cups 165F water, strain)
2 cups shoyu
1/2 cup Mirin (sweet wine)
1/4 cup sake (or sherry)
1/2 cup to 1 cup sugar, honey, sugar and honey, glucose syrup
2 tablespoons grated ginger
1 tablespoon grated garlic
1/2 teaspoon citrus zest, lemon and grapefruit work great, yuzu if you an get it
2 dried shiitake mushrooms, reconstituted, save water
This is the one I normally roll with, it is the closest to what I riff, whenever I make teriyaki. If I was doing a rice bowl, I would use two batches of this, one as a marinade and one thickened with a little arrowroot for shine and sweetness on the rice bowl itself.

Thanks as always guys!!! Off to the Asian stores in the morning.

Back