Pork Sandwich Pricing

DMDon

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I have been offered to cook and serve pulled pork sammies for my daughter's soccer club tournaments. I am furnishing everything and will have a tent next to the concession stand. They will be taking the $ and giving the person a ticket to bring to me for the sandwich. I figure it costs me about $.90 per with all expenses. I want to be able to let them keep $1 per and then I get the rest. What is a fair price? I'm not looking to make a killing, I just want to support the club and get my name out and work the customers for caterings. How does everyone else handle these types of deals?

Thanks

Mod, please move this to the first catering page, Thanks

Normally we go seven. But if you are not paying for the spot and you are donating the money back, I would say between $5 and $6 no less.

I've never done any vending, but If I was at a tournament I wouldn't want to spend any more than $3/sandwich. Assuming that I usually see hot dogs for $1, pizza for $2/slice, brats and burgers for $2-3.

At the race track, fairs, shows , carnivals etc. here you can expect to pay about £4.50-£5.00 ( $8+ USD) for a thin slice of pork on a roll with cheap apple sauce and a spoon of bulk buy Stove Top type stuffing and it sells all day long. When I sell at pubs I ask £2.50-£2.75 depending and keep all the funds.

I have been offered to cook and serve pulled pork sammies for my daughter's soccer club tournaments. I am furnishing everything and will have a tent next to the concession stand. They will be taking the $ and giving the person a ticket to bring to me for the sandwich. I figure it costs me about $.90 per with all expenses. I want to be able to let them keep $1 per and then I get the rest. What is a fair price? I'm not looking to make a killing, I just want to support the club and get my name out and work the customers for caterings. How does everyone else handle these types of deals?

Thanks

Meat, bun, wrapper, fuel, wood, sauce for $.90?
I've got mine down to about $1.30 per 1/3lb sammie and i sell em for $5.00 at my roadside stand.

I can see $6 or 7 at an event.

In Your case, $4.00 would net you about $1.70 per sammie.

50 sammies net you a $85.00 profit. Thats a lot of work for a lil payback.

YMMV :cool:

$5 at least - Value is value and a low price will affect the "next guy" at a fair or festival. After 11 years of club soccer, $6 or $7 for a quality sandwich is nothing...

Andy, for not doing vending, you're pretty close.

Don, I have a very similar gig running locally and it works well for all of us. I do 'add-on' food for our local sports teams and work my numbers based on the pricing the local club uses. Around here, dogs and burgers go for $2.50-$3. I normally charge $4 for PP or tri-tip sammies. Chicken breast sandwiches go for a dollar more, and also sell well. (what can I say, I'm in California.)

I set up in an area next to the snack shack and 'rope off' the area with tables and cones. The actual food is sold directly thru the snack shack. The local organization keeps a dollar of every transaction, and pay me $3 per sandwich. I keep the tickets the customers get when they pay for their food, and we settle up at the end of each day.

The extension of the deal is that I get to banner my area and have flyers and counter cards out for folks to take as advertising for my business. And, in the case of the local school sports teams, I get access to their kitchen facilities for food prep. This means that I almost never have to rent a commercial kitchen for my business.

not do disagree w/ the prices but this area of the country i can't see more than $3.50 for just the sandwich. i can see $5.00 if advertised as booster or fund raiser.
myself, i go $6.00 for a pp or chopped beef sammie,chips,pickle wedge, & 12oz iced tea or lemonade.

Couple of thoughts. "Pulled Pork Sandwich" is not a unit of measurement. Are the sandwiches on 4 inch hamburger buns, 5 inch hamburger buns, or French Rolls?
How much meat goes on each sandwich?

I have cooked at events for local charities that I would like to help support. I priced the food I was selling lower than normal, and it has always come back to bite me in the backside. Whatever price that you sell the sandwiches for will be setting a precedence for what your pulled pork sandwiches are worth. If one of the soccer parents decides to have a company picnic with pulled pork sandwichs---and you quote a higher price than you are selling for at the soccer games----things will get ugly.

Are there other food vendors there? What are they selling? If you sell too cheap then other vendors get agravated, and other problems come up.

Prices have been rising in the past few years and people are conditioned to pay fair amounts. I am sometimes still "Stuck in the old days" because I do not want to overcharge. For a reality check walk into a McDonalds and see what you get for 5 dollars.

I think that your 90 cent cost figure probably applies only to the meat, bread, and sauce. There is vehicle expenses, BBQ fuel expenses, BBQ pit cost and maintenance, etc. These costs happen even if you have donated labor. If the event organizers are keeping $1.00 per sandwich that is a "cost" also. Is hot food taxable in your area? Are you going to be paying the State for taxable amounts?

first off, without a scale, good luck getting exactly a 1/3 of a pound on a sandwich, chances r most of urs will be a solid 1/2. id be charging at least 5, prob 6. You dont have to worry about the people paying, they just come with the ticket. My guess it'll cost u a realistic $2 a sammy, 1 for the club, 3 for you, sounds fair to me.

Couple of thoughts. "Pulled Pork Sandwich" is not a unit of measurement. Are the sandwiches on 4 inch hamburger buns, 5 inch hamburger buns, or French Rolls?
How much meat goes on each sandwich?

I have cooked at events for local charities that I would like to help support. I priced the food I was selling lower than normal, and it has always come back to bite me in the backside. Whatever price that you sell the sandwiches for will be setting a precedence for what your pulled pork sandwiches are worth. If one of the soccer parents decides to have a company picnic with pulled pork sandwichs---and you quote a higher price than you are selling for at the soccer games----things will get ugly.

Are there other food vendors there? What are they selling? If you sell too cheap then other vendors get agravated, and other problems come up.

Prices have been rising in the past few years and people are conditioned to pay fair amounts. I am sometimes still "Stuck in the old days" because I do not want to overcharge. For a reality check walk into a McDonalds and see what you get for 5 dollars.

I think that your 90 cent cost figure probably applies only to the meat, bread, and sauce. There is vehicle expenses, BBQ fuel expenses, BBQ pit cost and maintenance, etc. These costs happen even if you have donated labor. If the event organizers are keeping $1.00 per sandwich that is a "cost" also. Is hot food taxable in your area? Are you going to be paying the State for taxable amounts?

I did this last weekend, for her tournament. I thought it would be a one time deal, but now they want me back for other tourneys.

Here is what I have come up with.

Pork: $1.08/lb uncooked, with a 40% loss to the finshed product it now costs $1.80/lb, I do 1/4 servings..( I used a scale last time for the first 150 samies to get a pretty good idea of what a quarter lb is) so meat is $.45 / samme
BUN: 1.62 / dozen $.135 each
Rub: Plowboys rub $.116 each
Sauce: $9/gallon $.07 per one ouce serving
fuel; $8 bag of Royal Oak thats all the BWS took for the whole cook $.026 each
trays $.04 each

free ice and electricity from the concession stand, location is about 2 miles from my home.

Thats $.84

I figure the remaining $.06 will cover the pickles, wax paper, foil and soap to wash the pans. What else am I missing?

I also, did 1/4 burgers and my cost was even lower on those, ketchup is dirt cheap. . In the concession stand they sell hot dogs and pizza slices for $2. I am the only food vendor out there.

When the day is almost done, I sell what I have left for $7 /lb, so I don't have to take it home. I don't split this money.

I would like to charge a litte more, we ran a package deal of sammie/burger 1oz bag of chips and a pop for $5.00. Most of all I made some good contacts in the community and will have other gigs because of this.

About how much time from prep to clean did it take? How many sammies did you sell? Just curious. Thanks Don!

About how much time from prep to clean did it take? How many sammies did you sell? Just curious. Thanks Don!

Prep time on butts doesn't take long. I trim off the false fat cap and the stringy fat beween the two large muscles. rub and toss in the cooker. I got up once during the night to wrap and once to take them out of the smoker. into a metal pan and cover with foil, put in the holding cooler and pulled them as I needed them. Clean up was easy, roasting pan, tongs, spatula, sauce bottles and the metal pans. Most of went in the dishwasher. I went through 26 dozen buns with the pork and burgers and sold another 15lbs of pork by itself. Each day I had less then two lbs left at the end of the day. I cooked a case of butts each night(Fri and Sat) next time I'll do them all at the same time.

You won't last long Rob giving food away.
i wouldn't call it "giving it away". i don't weigh out a sammie- it's an ice cream scoop full, i have a deal w/ the bakery (1doz burger buns for $1),iced tea or lemonade in my 6 gal cambros is very cheap & well, we can discuss breakdowns but i figger labor & ttl. materials i'm out maybe $1.50 per meal for $6.00. plain sammie in wrapper $3.50
now caterings are different because the service & setup is different.
this is walk up concession @ a moto-x track or side of road.

Back