• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Looking for coleslaw recipe...

Serial344

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Hi guys,
Does anybodies have both classical and variation of coleslaw?
I want to make a pulled pork and I had understood on how to make a good smoked boston butt but I'd like to know coleslaw from somebody who know it well!
Also pictures are well accepted.
Thanks anyway, bye.

Frankie

I multiply this one by at least 4, but it is super peppery so you might want to take it easy on that. I use roughly 2/3 of the pepper it calls for. I get a lot of compliments every time I serve this with pork.

• 2 cups shredded cabbage
  • 2 tablespoons minced onion
  • 2 tablespoons white vinegar
  • 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
  • 1 clove garlic, minced
  • 2 teaspoons sugar
  • 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
Mix all ingredients together and refrigerate for about an hour.

For a good traditional cole slaw, I use the following ingredients (sorry - no measurements):

Mayo
salt (a little)
ground pepper
sugar
Red Hot Sauce (Louisiana Hot Sauce)
Dijon Mustard (a little)
Cider Vinegar (a little)
Celery Seed (couple dashes)
Cabbage
Onions
Carrots

For a great variation there's a Garlic Slaw. Again - no measurements handy but this is really good (I'll look for the recipe tonight because I might be missing something below):

Lotsa fresh crushed garlic
Cider Vinegar
Sugar (quite a bit)
Salt (a little)
Pepper
Cabbage (green and a little red)
Onions
Carrots

The idea here is to get a taste of sweet, tart, and lotsa garlic.

My classic coleslaw recipe is pretty much identical to TK's (the one without mayo), except I like to toss in some fine chopped peppers. I prefer anaheim, poblano, banana or jalapeno to bell pepper personally. Not sure why. I tried some pimiento's once and it was OK, but I prefer the crunch of fresh peppers.

Seems like somewhere here are a bunch of coleslaw recipes but I tried to search for them and failed. Anybody remember where they are?

Bigdog said:
Seems like somewhere here are a bunch of coleslaw recipes but I tried to search for them and failed. Anybody remember where they are?

I looked too... i think we're thinkin of the recent thread about slaw on brisket. Alot of talk about it, a few ideas and variations, but no recipes.

PM PigBoy for his recipe. Its a classic recipe that people love and is super easy from what I remember. Basically Mayo, white vinegar, and celery seed. Don't know the measures though.

German Slaw

We love this slaw. It goes great with pulled pork! It's different because it is sweet.

2 heads of cabbage
1 large red onion
2 cups sugar
1 cup cider vingear
1 cup vegetable oil
2 Tablespoons salt
3 Tablespoons yellow mustard
1 Tablespoon celery salt

Shred & Mix: Cabbage & Red onion
Sprinkle with sugar
Let sit for 2 hours

Boil remaining ingredents for 1 minute
Pour evenly over cabbage - *do not stir*

Cover and let sit for 24 hours

Stir and Serve

Here's one I like:

1 pound of cabbage, 2 parts green, 1 part red
1 cup mayonnaise
1 cup sour cream
1 Tablespoon sugar
1 ½ teaspoons salt
1 ½ teaspoons celery seed
1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
[FONT=&quot]The juice of 1 lemon[/FONT]

Here's my recipe. I've had lost of compliments on it. BTW when I make it to put on pulled pork sammies I slice the cabbage coarse so that it is in long strands. Stays on the farker better.

1 head cabbage - quartered, cored, sliced, then chopped to desired consistency
2 carrots - grated coarse

Dressing:
2-cups mayo
1cup sour cream
1/4 cup cider vinegar
juice of 1 lemon
1 tsp kosher salt
1 1/2 tsp celery seed
1 tablespoon sugar or splenda

Whisk together dressing ingredients adjust salt if necessary. Use just enough of the dressing to get the cabbabe mixture very moist.

Serial344 said:
Hi guys,
Does anybodies have both classical and variation of coleslaw?
I want to make a pulled pork and I had understood on how to make a good smoked boston butt but I'd like to know coleslaw from somebody who know it well!
Also pictures are well accepted.
Thanks anyway, bye.

Frankie
I have a recipe from one of my BBQ books for a slaw that goes with pulled pork sammis. It is great on sammis but sucks by itself. I will post it if you are interested.

Here's my standby. ...I always get rave reviews on it.

Parmesan-black pepper coleslaw

I medium head of cabbage- 2-2 1/2 lbs (note- for color, I throw in a little red cabbage too...maybe 3 or 4 to 1, green/red)
1 large red bell pepper
1/2 cup white wine vinegar
1/4 cup olive oil
3 tablespoons sugar
2 1/4 teaspoons coarsely ground black pepper
3/4 tsp salt
1 6-8 oz piece of Parmesan cheese
3 tablespoons mayo
3 tablespoons sour cream

Shred cabbage and place in large mixing bowl. Dice red peppers and throw into bowl. In a seperate small bowl, whisk together vinegar, oil, sugar, pepper and salt. Pour over cabbage and peppers and toss to coat well. Marinate in fridge for 30 minutes.
Meanwhile , grate cheese to yield 1 1/2 cups. Whish together mayo and sour cream and add to cabbage mixture along with grated cheese. Mix well to combine. Cover bowl with plastic and refrigerate 4 hrs before serving.

Mike

The only thing i do different than most of these recipes is I use WHITE PEPPER instead of black pepper. Not too much, but it gives it a kick and you cant find the pepper. Always get great reviews about my slaw, and I always use white pepper.

Cock of The Walk Cole Slaw (with slight adjustments)

1 lb. bag of ready mixed slaw with carrots
1/4 cup green onions chopped
1/4 cup white or vidalia onions, chopped
1/4 cup bell pepper, chopped
1/8 cup sugar
2 tsp black pepper
1 1/2 tsp granulated garlic powder
2 tsp Lawry's salt or Tony Cachere's creole seasoning
1 TBSp white vinegar
12 oz Mayonnaise

Yes! after years of high level espionage I have managed to get my hands on the recipe for the best damn cole slaw in the South.....the famous Cock of the Walk Catfish restaurants delectable, mouth watering concoction................without further blathering - From Mike Sanders in Mobile Ala
Directions:
mix all ingredients and taste....if bitter add more sugar..............refrigerate 24 hours....then pig out! Overnight is fine too.
Adjust mayonaise for consistency and taste.
Note: I have changed the original just a tad, the use of ready made cole slaw in a bag. I used 2 tsp of Tony C. this time. I used 2 tsp lawrys last time. It was good. It is good either way.

Damar12 said:

Yes! after years of high level espionage I have managed to get my hands on the recipe for the best damn cole slaw in the South.....the famous Cock of the Walk Catfish restaurants delectable, mouth watering concoction......

I'll have to try this if it is indeed close to their recipie It ROCKs!!!!!

Here's a really simple one...

Pineapple Coleslaw

1 head cabbage, shredded
1 can pineapple chunks (SAVE THE JUICE)
1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
1 tbsp blackpepper
1 tbsp salt
1 tbsp brown sugar

Put the cabbage in a bowl. Add the pineapple (I like to give it a rough chop first). Mix the vinegar with 1/4 cup of the pineapple juice. Add the rest of the ingredients and mix well. Pour over the cabbage and pineapple. Toss. Eat.

Damar12 said:

I just threw this one together as I had all of the ingredients on hand. Taste test is very good. Should be great tomorrow night. Thanks.

Saw this jicama?
Coleslaw
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular](makes 6 servings)

[/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]Ingredients:[/FONT]
nf_coleslaw.gif
sm-lime-bullet.gif
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]2 cups green cabbage, shredded[/FONT]
sm-lime-bullet.gif
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]2 cups red cabbage, shredded[/FONT]
sm-lime-bullet.gif
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]1/2 cup jicama, peeled and sliced into 1/4 inch strips[/FONT]
sm-lime-bullet.gif
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]1 green pepper, seeded and chopped[/FONT]
sm-lime-bullet.gif
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]1 medium carrot, peeled and shredded[/FONT]
sm-lime-bullet.gif
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]1 medium onion, chopped[/FONT]
sm-lime-bullet.gif
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]1/2 cup medium radishes, chopped

[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]Ingredients for dressing:[/FONT]
sm-lime-bullet.gif
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]3 tablespoons packed brown sugar[/FONT]
sm-lime-bullet.gif
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]3 tablespoons water[/FONT]
sm-lime-bullet.gif
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]3 tablespoons red wine vinegar[/FONT]
sm-lime-bullet.gif
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]1 tablespoon vegetable oil[/FONT]
sm-lime-bullet.gif
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]1/4 teaspoon salt[/FONT]
sm-lime-bullet.gif
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]1 clove garlic, chopped

[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]Directions:[/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS,Trebuchet,Trebuchet]1.[/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]In a small bowl, combine ingredients for dressing and mix well then toss with cabbage mixture in a large bowl and chill for 2 hours before serving.[/FONT]

I added this thread to the KCQUER Roadmap so we can find it again later.

If you like KFC slaw, this is a great knock-off. We use this all of the time and everyone loves it.

KFC cole slaw

8 cups finely diced cabbage (about 1 head)
1⁄4 cup diced carrot
2 tablespoons minced onions
1⁄3 cup granulated sugar
1⁄2 teaspoon salt
1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
1⁄4 cup milk
1⁄2 cup mayonnaise
1⁄4 cup buttermilk
1 1⁄2 tablespoons white vinegar
2 1⁄2 tablespoons lemon juice

1) Be sure that the cabbage and carrots are chopped up into very fine pieces (about the size of rice grains).

2) Combine sugar, salt, pepper, milk, mayonnaise, buttermilk, vinegar, and lemon juice, and beat until smooth.

3) Add the cabbage and carrots. Mix well 4) Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hrs. before serving. The critical part of this cole slaw recipe is the flavor-enhancement period prior to eating. Be absolutely certain the cole slaw sits in the 'fridge for at least a couple of hrs. prior to serving for a great-tasting slaw.

Last edited:
Back