butcher paper weight width color etc.

floydo

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
have seen butcher paper in various widths, weights ( 40#, 50# and probably other) and colors ( brown, white, peach treated, red rosin, etc. ) .
someone mentioned that lowes or HD had brown construction paper.
I looked at that and it was pretty heavy duty. Is that what you use for wrapping?

Anyway, what size, weight, type do you recommend ?
And is all white paper bleached and is that as bad as it sounds ?

Some do. I stick with food grade paper to wrap when I wrap. I got an 18" roll at Sam's for under $20.

Who know's what is in the other stuff. I don't (and don't care to find out the hard way.) If there's someone in the pulp/paper industry who can confirm that "food grade" is nothing more than labeling then I'll change my mind.

Food grade for sure. Think about where the paper is sold and the chemicals it is around. Someone on a post once mentioned the fact- who knows how it is manufactured and the fact most manufacturing places share products---could be chemicals, paints ect that are mfg in the same location. That alone sold me on food grade paper.

I use 24" red butcher paper. For me, the wider the better. Next time I will order 36".

Last edited:
In my industrial experience, when looking at two similar things and one is listed as food grade, they are generally the same thing except the equipment the food grade on has to meet certain cleanliness standards and doesn't get cross contaminated from other products that may get made on the same equipment. I would stick to food grade.

Back