View Single Post
Old 11-14-2009, 04:34 PM   #1
NCGrimbo
is One Chatty Farker

Default A Little Brisket Experiment.

So I have finally gotten around to experimenting between Angus brisket vs BJ's Megamart brisket vs Wally World brisket. Here's what I did:

- 12lb brisket from Wally World, flat and point. $2.20/lb
- 8 lb Angus brisket from local farmer's market, flat and point, but cut in an odd manner. $7.99/lb.
- 5.75 lb brisket from BJ's, flat only. $1.75/lb.
- No rub or sauce was added so that all analysis would be based on the brisket, not the "Extras".
- Cooked all to a max internal temp of 205 and checked firmness after they reached 190.
- Got pit up to 225 and held steady there through the entire cook except when reloading charcoal or removing meat.
- All 3 briskets were graded "Choice".
- Cooked on a small Spicewine and used approximately 22 to 24 lb of charcoal.
- Started the cook at 11:40pm on Fri. Took the final brisket out of the smoker at 3:00pm on Sat.

Results: Based on how easy the brisket was to cut and chewability, I found that the Angus was more tender than the other two. But not by a whole lot. Definately not enough to justify the difference I paid. The other two briskets were equal in tenderness to each other. All three were tender enough that I would not have felt bad turning them in at a competition. Flavorwise, I couldn't tell any difference between the three. All were equally yummy.

I'll post some pictures later. The burnt ends aren't quite finished yet.
"At what point did we forget that the Space Shuttle was, essentially, a program that strapped human beings to an explosion and tried to stab through the sky with fire and math? How jaded do we have to be to lose collective interest in that?" - Robert Brockway
-----------------------------------------------------------
Weber 26.5"
Yoder YS640

-NCGrimbo
NCGrimbo is offline   Reply With Quote