• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Against the rules for KCBS contest?

Dan - 3eyzbbq

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Been holding on to this question for awhile.

Saw a couple teams using lighters to burn off residual feathers on chicken skin during prep. Given that's a butane source for the flame is that against the rules?

I know your not really cooking, nor is that the intent. Just curious what peoples thoughts are.

Last edited:
I don't know if it is or not, but I wouldn't take the risk of somebody getting the wrong idea. It's close enough that some folks would probably question it at some point. For all I know it could change the texture of the skin, and if that's the case they would have a point.

I would say illegal. Just as those propane torches are illegal for finishing sauce on a chicken or rib...

I would say illegal. Just as those propane torches are illegal for finishing sauce on a chicken or rib...

I agree with Scottie, if a rep (or another competitor) were to see this it would cause some uneeded issues.

on another note...Dan if your really board you can always come over to my house and teach me how to cook chicken.:roll:

Only if its in a muffin pan and you're attempting to crisp the skin! Otherwise use tweezers to remove the hair.

No chicken brulee!

I would say it is not illegal, since the butane is not used to cook the chicken. But just buy a better brand of chicken.

I saw a top team do this to their chicken at a contest this year. I wondered the same thing. Perhaps this does need some clarification by the board?

I would think that anyone attempting to cook with a butane lighter has other issues that whether or not it's legal. They may be the ones up to 2am singing and playing guitar while you're trying to sleep.....:rolleyes:

Here is your proof that Texas does have a winter.....

Setting a sauce is a cooking technique. Removing remnants of pen feathers is prep work and thusly not cooking.

Get on a plane and we'll debate over some margaritas.

I would think that anyone attempting to cook with a butane lighter has other issues that whether or not it's legal. They may be the ones up to 2am singing and playing guitar while you're trying to sleep.....:rolleyes:

I am not sure this is a fair statement.

I mean, I don't even know how to play the guitar.

Here is your proof that Texas does have a winter.....

Setting a sauce is a cooking technique. Removing remnants of pen feathers is prep work and thusly not cooking.

Get on a plane and we'll debate over some margaritas.

Debate? I am too busy trying to find all of our Longhorns gear for my girls to be wearing in a couple of days...

Honestly, I don't have a clue. That was a gut reaction to all of the other lame rulings that the BOD comes up with. So I figured it was legal, thus I voted for illegal to rationalize like the BOD does on some issues.... :twisted:

Joking of course!!!

Don't know if it's legal or not. Someone could say you were trying to render the fat under the skin. Why risk it? That's why I use a lady schick! And I learned that here...

Tom

As long as the gas for the torch is made by the coal gasification method on site using charcoal or wood as the source fuel, then it should be legal. Here is a simple process flow chart for the process.

1000px-IGCC_diagram.svg.png

As long as the gas for the torch is made by the coal gasification method on site using charcoal or wood as the source fuel, then it should be legal. Here is a simple process flow chart for the process.

1000px-IGCC_diagram.svg.png

You guys have got to find another hobby during the winter :shock:

Back