2nd comp not bad

S

smokinrack

Went to our second comp a smaller local one with 18 teams this weekend. Got blasted with 50 MPH winds and heavy rains Friday night, weather was pretty crazy and thing were blowing away all over the place.Managed to get all of our stuff tied down and keep the fire going through it.

We wound up taking third in chicken, fourth place in ribs and 7th place over all. Havent got the rest of the reults yet so not sure where we stood on pulled pork and brisket.

Did a couple loins and gave out all the left overs at a public tasting afterwards, was nice to hear the compliments from the general public including probably 20 or 30 people trying buy our homemade BBQ sauce, and a KCBS judge that actually came back to the smoker to check it out while my wife was serving, he raved about our loin and pulled pork and said he voted for us in the general public part and gave me a list of other events we should try locally.Was a very good weekend other than the weather

Thanks, its only the second one we have ever done so I was actually suprised at the awards :twitch:

Great Job and Congrats on the wins. Now what is the next comp?

Going to help a friend over the fourth at a sanctioned contest, I havent joined the KCBS yet and want to get a feel for what goes on at thiers before jumping in.It sounds like its pretty much the same timeline and foods as the other two Ive entered just want to see if anything else is different I should be aware of.

Other than that these dang things are expensive and I cant afford two contests back to back :wacko:

Then theres a local one up at the bar on the 6th I will be in, and one coming up later in the month thats a benefit cook off for a group that sponsors taking handicap kids hunting.Then theres one big one in August with 60 teams I plan to enter again this year, I had no idea what I was getting into last year at it and bombed badly

Back