• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Got My KCBS Judge Certification On!

Jason TQ

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
Took the KCBS judging class yesterday in Lyons, GA. This being my rookie year competing I wanted to add a little more to my bbq repertoire (I used a big word there) and get more well rounded........or something of that nature.

It will be awesome to get to judge some contest, hopefully do one or two before the year is over. Might be tough since we are competing in the next 2 KCBS events over the next 4 weeks and we want to compete in a few more before the year is out. I guess that is a pretty good position to be in though :p.

It was cool to learn exactly what goes into judging and what judges are looking for in the criteria of appearance, taste, texture. The class was fun, lots of nice people to meet, and the instructor was a great guy. He competes so during a few breaks I picked his brain about competition stuff and he was very willing to share with a rookie like me. Hoping the judging class will improve our competition results, but more importantly I have wanted to be able to judge for a while now.

I hadn't planned on smoking anything today, but since it seems I don't have much to do I may go start the smoker and go run out and get a brisket. High heat since I won't have a long time. Haven't done a high heat one before so we'll see how it goes. Probably post that up later if it happens.

Got me a pin and everything :-D.
2011-08-21_09-55-15_490.jpg

I was there too, I agree, had a great time. I was at table 3.

Highly recommended for others who would like to know what the judges have to look for, and see things from their angle.

Jalon

I was there too, I agree, had a great time. I was at table 3.

Highly recommended for others who would like to know what the judges have to look for, and see things from their angle.

Jalon

Cool. I was at table 5. Lots of nice people there. Great for people looking to get more bbq knowledge for competing and also folks who simply love bbq as well. Maybe we'll catch each other at a comp one day.

Welcome to judgeship, guys! My wife and I have judged four comps since March and I wish we'd done a couple more, but we ust signed up for three more.

The best thing I learned? "Do the teams no harm".

Welcome to judgeship, guys! My wife and I have judged four comps since March and I wish we'd done a couple more, but we ust signed up for three more.

The best thing I learned? "Do the teams no harm".

Thank. Yeah one of the things they wanted to instill in us was the integrity of judging. Teams spend a lot of $$ to do these competitions so make sure you are being fair and honest. I haven't been competing long, but hope we always get judged fairly.

Welcome to the KCBS judging crew! Please take the job seriously and remember that being a good judge is a process -- keep practicing and learning. The cooks deserve nothing but the best.

Table #8 Rules!!

As mentioned in another thread, I had a really good time. I also agree about giving the submitted product every bit of my attention when judging. The teams deserve no less.

Russ

Back