Rate my brisket appearance

I Two 5's and a 4 in tenderness? I have never made a tough brisket in my life.

I did not read the other post, but I am sure some one pointed this out.

I have given low scores on tenderness for an over cooked brisket as well as tuff brother!

hey cheif i will give you a 8 appearance,minus the burnt ends. but overall it looks great.

hey cheif i will give you a 8 appearance,minus the burnt ends. but overall it looks great.

Minus the burnt ends? I don't understand. A KCBS judge cannot (isn't suppose to) lower a score due to what's not in the box (as long as it is at least 6 distingushable pieces).

That said, I think the gravy looks heavy and inconsistant - 7

Well Neil I did get to taste your brisket and i would have to say that I would not have given it that low of a score. I thought it was not over done or under done. As a newer competetor Im still not sure what judges are looking for also I think if your brisket slightly pulled before breaking then 7 or above. I tasted your brisket maybe 20mins after turn in also.
Just my 2 cents friend it was great to finally meet you in person

I'm starting to understand why the Governor has banned you.

At least I am proud of the state I am from... TEXAS BABY!

I competed at a time we didn't all stupid about garnish. Stupid about the shape of the slices. Stupid about things that have NOTHING to do with the Q inside your box, foil or butcher paper.

This era has long passed and there now is more mediocre que than we know what to do with. Go to one of the BBQ pageants outside of the BBQ belt and you'll see what I mean.
:rolleyes:

Don't get pissed now, I'm just the crazy old guy that represents the "old days."

I am also insinuating it was not a TEXAN or southerner that came up with being obsessed with what type of arugula is under your sample.

solid 7. sauce should compliment not cover. it is a meat contest. Might add some burnt ends at the bottom. Seemed to help my scores. Always fill the box full. Nice looking box though. Judges scores have been all over the place since the new judging system came into play. climbing on soapbox Old system worked well shoulda fixed it not changed it. start at top and go down. add decimals exmple 7.25,7.5 etc and no ties. IMHO because many judges are bubbas from the crowd. Keep it simple and start at the top and go down. Dont confuse that bubba thats gettin a free meal by tellin him to start in the middle and go up and or down Sorry couldnt resist. just my overtaxed .02 worth

Back