First Comp...what we learned!

T

Todd Ras

Ok, I know there are a ton of posts from teams doing their first comp, but I thought I would share what we learned from doing our first one in Blue Springs this past weekend just in case someone else isn't sure what there getting into!

1) If you're on the fence about doing one...take the leap! I couldn't have asked for a better time with my friends. Friday night was a great party night, but try to get some sleep. Don't try to run on a 30 minute nap.

2) Listen to people on here when they tell you to have a packing list and to do a full set-up practice run before you compete. We did it and I couldn't have imagined not doing a full practice before hand. This includes turn in boxes!

3) Bring lot's of ice and coolers....Ice isn't cheap at these contests!

4) Remember a water jug and toliet paper :p

5) If the team next to you gets to drunk and starts calling you "rooks" because you put your food on the smoker to early.....just laugh and tell them to have another one. Then, wait until they have an official come over and tell them they entered raw chicken...you will get the last laugh!!

6) When coming up with a team name remember you might have to explain it to a 70 year old woman some day....just saying :wink:

All in all, we had a blast and got to meet some other Brethren in the process. We scored pretty well for our first comp and now it's all over as everyone on my team can't wait for the next one!

Thanks again for all the advice over the last year......

Todd
Donkey Punch BBQ

5. You're right. Go by your own schedule. Also, FYI, same cooker same wood supply same temperatures, cook times vary. I've also seen entries come across that, while
done, weren't cooked fully to be as tender, etc. as they should've been. I can see
them goofin' on "rooks" like your guys above. Pork can vary as much as 4 hours
depending on the actual meat itself, humidity, outside temps, etc. We get started
early and I'm not ashamed one bit.

6. Yes, the 70 lady, and then try to explain it to your 12 or 13 year old daughter!
BE CAREFUL. :)

2. Yes, make a list, check it twice! I've actually been to a chili cookoff and forgot/
missed.........: the spoons (the ones to stir the pot) Luckily WallyWorld was within
running distance.

Forgot what category - but congrats on the call! Sorry I didn't have a chance to come by and say hello - we were buried with the Buck a Bone (that's another thread to itself).

Thanks Bobby, we got a call for 9th in Chicken and surprised the crap out of us, but we knew we turned in decent box. Took 12th overall and was pretty happy about it, but now were hooked!!

Not sure what a frosty walrus is, but i'm sure it's on the same lines as an Alabama Hot pocket :)

excellent Todd!

I remember my first comp,,,, forgot to pack chicken:icon_blush:, didn't even know I forgot it intill the meat inspection,, :icon_sleepy

We were at that Blue Springs contest this weekend and it was our first fully sanctioned event. We created a timeline to follow and it definitely helped us out. Without the written timeline we would have been completely screwed. The other thing we found is that you need to take shifts at night, all 3 of us tried to stay up all night and almost passed out by the time the sausage turn in came around.

--Albino Rhino BBQ

Without a timeline, I'd have been screwed MANY times. I guess some people just
know it, but me, I can forget darned near anything....

I didn't know that was your first comp. You did awesome! You donkey punched that contest.

Good advice and congrats on your call. A 12th overall is great in your first comp.
Heres another you should add.

7) Being new to comps, concentrate on the 4 meat catagorys and forget about anything butt, sides or desserts.

The other thing we found is that you need to take shifts at night, all 3 of us tried to stay up all night and almost passed out by the time the sausage turn in came around.

I guess those darn neighbors need to learn to be more quite! :wink::cool:

But the movie "Sex Drive" was worth staying up for? :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Back