• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Cure time for furnace cement and hi temp silicone

H

Hachie Qer

I plan to install a rope furnace gasket on my firebox and hi temp silicone on the cooking chamber of my NBBD. If I do that this afternoon, can I do a curing/seasoning burn this evening and be ready to go for a cook in the morning?

Edit:
According to the instr. on the furnace cement, you can burn low temp right away and then boost the temp after drying. I guess my real concern is the silicone, will it cure that fast?

The high temp silicone I use, I have used about 12 hours after with no "side effects" or problems.

I have used 800* and 1200* fairly shortly after install. If anything, I think it aids in setting. I would ask a mechanic how long after using red RTV he waits before firing the engine. Chances are, he will say as long as it takes to walk to the ignition and that application involves massive temps and pressure. The RTV used in the auto industry is not that different than yours.

Hope that helps!

The high temp silicone I use, I have used about 12 hours after with no "side effects" or problems.

I have used 800* and 1200* fairly shortly after install. If anything, I think it aids in setting. I would ask a mechanic how long after using red RTV he waits before firing the engine. Chances are, he will say as long as it takes to walk to the ignition and that application involves massive temps and pressure. The RTV used in the auto industry is not that different than yours.

Hope that helps!

The furnace cement is Rutland, which I bought for this project. The RTV silicone I have is just some I had in the garage, surely meant for automotive. I think it's blue. What's the difference between red and blue? Can you use either? It's been around so long I may have to buy a new tube anyway. I haven't taken the cap off to see if it's even still liquid.

Double check your RTV package. Blue is usually low temp. If you're using it on the smoke chamber, its probably fine, but make sure you're never going to cook over the rated temp.

It is best to use high temp. silicone for the lower rated stuff fails at higher temps. Some brands emit a terrible odor when uncured. GE or 3M is my choice when available. Steve.

I prefer a 1200 degree silicone when available. That way I am sure that for 99% of my use, I will not see any degradation.

My rutland glue with gasket came off after 2 cooks. Used the copper header rtv and have had no problem. Let set up 1 hour and it was ready to go

Check out this link- http://www.nakedwhiz.com/rutlandgasket/gasket.htm

Even though this particular application is geared towards the BGE, Rutland Furnace Stove and Gasket cement and the Fiberglass Rope cement are not the same. Make note of the manufacture date if you use any off the shelf, there is a recommended use by date. Learn from my bad experience and don't use the Rutland Furnace cement for rope gaskets.

100_2781.jpg

I got the Rutlands kit with the rope and the cement in one package. It turned out that one of the tubes of RTV I had sitting around was hi temp. and it had not been opened. Bad news is after using the whole tube, there were still spots that did not contact due to the size of the gap. Also, even though I kneaded the tube thoroughly before opening, it still was separated. It turned out pretty ugly, but functional for now.

My rutland glue with gasket came off after 2 cooks. Used the copper header rtv and have had no problem. Let set up 1 hour and it was ready to go
Hopefully it will last longer than that, but if it doesn't, I'll try that. Thanks

Back