Any word from Hamilton N.J. (Merged)

Is this the one day deal of chicken and ribs? If so no way! The odds are against me

It's a full blown KCBS event. Saturday & Sunday. Lo' -N- Slo' BBQ will be there. Stop in and say hello.

I just read the application, didnt know about this contest until I read this thread. Looks interesting I might try to road trip down and check it out. Do they need judges?
Is it a pain to get the all of those permits needed to compete and do they charge you for those too? Whats with the different entry fees? $75 for electric will make me buy a generator very fast!

I got a call from the organizers. They're looking for more teams. I'm already committed that weekend so I can't make it.

I just read the application, didnt know about this contest until I read this thread. Looks interesting I might try to road trip down and check it out. Do they need judges?
Is it a pain to get the all of those permits needed to compete and do they charge you for those too? Whats with the different entry fees? $75 for electric will make me buy a generator very fast!

you have to get permits to enter the KCBS contest ?

A permit to cook and a permit for an ez-up in addition to your entry fee? No wonder they're looking for more teams.

you have to get permits to enter the KCBS contest ?

It seems the township requires a fire permit (fire in cooker with a flammable tent) and a temporary health permit. Apparently it's all included in the entry fee. I filled out the three forms and sent them in together. The organizer took care of the rest.

A permit to cook and a permit for an ez-up in addition to your entry fee? No wonder they're looking for more teams.

I thought it was a bit of overkill myself, but it's their township & their rules. Since no one asked me to pay for the permits, let some bureaucrat be happy. I would rather they had asked less for electricity.

Are you coming to this one, Jon? If you're planning on beating me by two ten-thousandths of a point again I want to make sure I've got an adequate supply of valium handy.

Apparently it's all included in the entry fee. I filled out the three forms and sent them in together. The organizer took care of the rest.

Thats what I was really wondering, if the organizer took care of all of that. I just thought it was odd when I saw it on the application.

I've got an adequate supply of valium handy.

Now it sounds like a party!:biggrin:

We stayed away from this one. If you use a canopy or propane you have to get a fire permit from the Fire Department and the electricity cost is $75. It's no wonder they need teams. Interesting because I bet their health code prohibits food preparation in direct sunlight.

Are you coming to this one, Jon? If you're planning on beating me by two ten-thousandths of a point again I want to make sure I've got an adequate supply of valium handy.
Go for it, Brian! I have to work that weekend. This weekend too :sad: . Save your valium for Bridgeton or Dover.

Hamilton results
from another forum:

Grand - Florida Skin-N-Bones
Reserve - Fat Angel BBQ

Chicken -
1) Fat Angel BBQ
2) Florida Skin-N-Bones
3) Ribs Within
4) Up In Smoke
5) Ma's Que Crew

Ribs-
1) Lo-N-Slo BBQ
2) Fat Angel BBQ
3) Pig Pen BBQ
4) Florida Skin-N-Bones
5) Up In Smoke

Pork-
1) Florida Skin-N-Bones
2) Ma's Que Crew
3) Fat Angel BBQ
4) Pig Pen BBQ
5) Jumping Dog Barbecue

Brisket-
1) Florida Skin-N-Bones
2) Fat Angel BBQ
3) Lo-N-Slo BBQ
4) Jumping Dog Barbecue
5) Up In Smoke

Congrats to all. Rich, you must be awful proud of your progenies. They've had a great year.

A Plug for Next Year

The Hamilton Township Septemberfest really turned out to be a great venue for a competition; IMHO, anyway. The park itself was both huge and beautiful, and well maintained. The park is surrounded by a nice residential area, at least on the sides that I saw, and is easy to get to from the major roads. We left Lake Grove at about 5:00 AM Saturday morning and arrived at the site at 7:09. Our view of the fireworks was great, and we were pleasantly close to the bandstand. We had friends' five year old daughter with us and there was plenty to keep her busy, too.

Jill Moyers, the organizer, was on site continuously and was very open to suggestions and requests. She seems very interested in making the BBQ competition a regular and successful part of the town's festival. She promises to start on next year's festival as soon as the mayoral elections are over in November, so expect to see applications available around January, assuming she still has a job thereafter.

The applications for permits turned into pretty much a none issue. Linda Mullane did the usual meat/health inspection and one fire marshall stopped by to ask if we had a 20lb fire extinguisher. He didn't even ask to see it.

Given the small turnout, there was plenty of room. We were fortunate enough to be sited between Lo-n-Slo and Fat Angel. Stella came to visit us so many times, we thought we could convince her to jump teams, but, alas, she proved too loyal. Guido and Chrissy (bbqmafia and mrsmafia) and their kids also stopped by to say hello. Next time, hopefully, they'l come by when they can stay for awhile or a meal. All in all, it looks like a competition with a future.

Thanks, Michelle, for passing around the applications at New Paltz. We'll plan on being back next year.

Back