24 pound turkey

tulsatkd

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
First off let me introduce myself. I am 25 years old, married with 2 kids and I have been in the army serving as a medic for the past for years. I don't want to take to much of your time, so I will get straight to my question.

We are expecting around 9 people for thanksgiving and my wife bought a 24 pound turkey for me to smoke. Thing is the largest turkey I ever smoked was 16-18 pounds., and everything that I have read says that anything above 20 pounds is dangeroous to smoke. Should I bake it in the oven for around 4 hours then smoke it or should I smoke it for 12 hours or so and finish it of in the oven. All suggestions are welcome and thanks in advance.

it's okay do you like dr pepper?
i am smoking a 22 pounder basting it with dr
but u must brine or inject keep basting it

heres the recipe
1 20 pound turkey

stuff turkey with onions and j peppers garlic and 1 halve of a lime

light ur fire
temp 250

put turkey in a roasting pan
add a rub (light on the brown sugar)
pour the good doctor in the pan
cook for 30 min
baste with the good doctor from the bottom of the pan every 30 minutes
cook till red thing pops up :biggrin:
injecting hmm haven't figure that out yet hmmm
simper fie!

I'd take the heat up a notch or two with that big of a bird. The time between 40 and 140 is the issue - a 24# bird is just a bit dense to take it through that range in two hours at low heats.

Consider smoking for an hour or so at your 220-250 and then crank the heat up to 300 or so to finish the bird. Poultry sucks up smoke taste quickly and poultry also doesn't mind the heat - there is no fat or connective tissue (realatively speaking) that needs to be rendered.

As ghostrider said, do inject or brine...I'd go with injection and then after the hour or two in smoke I'd drape the bird with cheesecloth to protect the skin while roasting at the higher temps. It certainly doesn't hurt to spray with some apple (or other fruit juice) though that's not really needed to get a nice brown bird.

Depending on your cooker - I'd use flavored wood/chips/etc for the first part of the cook and then go with a straight heating wood or charcoal, gas, whatever you've got to finish. You'll get a cleaner brighter color with heat at the end - pecan/hickory/etc. will really darken up the skin.

Basically, forget 12 hours -- unless you like the porcelain throne!!

Good luck!

okay so 220 for 1 hour then 300 for how long?
what sould i inject with?
whats wrong with pecan ?

ghostrider said:
okay so 220 for 1 hour then 300 for how long?
what sould i inject with?
whats wrong with pecan ?

The time, off the top of my head, I can't tell you, but the "Southern Foods" website says 4.5-5 hours at 325 for a thawed bird. I'd definately make sure the turkey is thawed completely or the cook time really goes up. My cooker will cruise at 325 so I'd look at 6-7 hours total to allow for the hour at the lower temp...

Make use of a thermometer (instant read or electronic) after about 3 hours (total) to see where the temp in the thigh is at...shoot for 180 in the thigh and 165 in the breast.

Pecan is fine for flavor...my experience with poultry, is that it can really darkens the skin if used for the entire cook time. We just did a batch of chicken (three hours) with a pecan/oak mix for the first hour and then going to straight oak for the balance of the time...nice golden skin on the yard bird.

For the injection - I like a "cajun butter" type injection, but there are a couple of threads active here with suggestions using fruit juices, etc. I'd stay with a light colored injection to avoid weird colored or streaked white meat!! There are several brands of cajun injections at your local super market...Tony Chachares is available in most markets - and is great if you like a little spiceness...other butter blends are milder.

What kind of cooker are you using?

855-63065-hero.jpg

Its like this exept stainless steel homemade i did some of the welding
won't cajun butter make it taste werid with the dr pepper?

thanks for the advice everyone. I have a brikmann smoke 'n' pit pitmaster. It doesn't have the firebox on the side so I have to put the turkey on one side and the charcoal on the other.

Ok...so you use charcoal and wood? No worries.

Yeah, the creole butter would probably NOT work too well the Dr. Pepper!!

If it's a "Butterball" type turkey you probably won't need to do anything to it...they are already injected. If you've got a big enough container and enough fridge space, and the bird is not "enhanced" you might consider using one of the brines in our recipe section.

I'm sure other "brothers" will chime in shortly with their suggestions!!

no all wood my fire box is bigger i need to put up some pics
can i inject some cilantro chili powder lime juice cumin season salt?

ghostrider said:
no all wood my fire box is bigger i need to put up some pics
can i inject some cilantro chili powder lime juice cumin season salt?

That's an interesting combination of flavors!

Have you ever used that combination with Dr. Pepper before?

Personally (and I'm not saying it wouldn't work) I'd use a simpler injection...perhaps an apple juice based injection with some herbs and let the smoke and Dr. Pepper glaze carry the load. Or, maybe a Cuban style mojo injection - it has a lot of the flavors you mentioned (citrus, cumino, etc.) Whatever you decide, I'd filter the injection through some cheesecloth or a paint filter in order to not leave a lot of streaks in the white meat!

Chad offers some sound advice. Dr. Pepper is a cherry flavor, use that as a base and emphasize it with the injection. Brother Bill uses his kid's cherry juice box for spray, maybe use a little of that for the "carrier" liquid for your injection.

oh crap i am lost
the cuban thing intrigues me
but i am not good with making up recipes so i am going to need lotsa help

Kevin said:
Chad offers some sound advice. Dr. Pepper is a cherry flavor, use that as a base and emphasize it with the injection. Brother Bill uses his kid's cherry juice box for spray, maybe use a little of that for the "carrier" liquid for your injection.
how whould i do that?

Here's one recipe from tasteofcuba.com
http://www.tasteofcuba.com/mojo.html

Cuban Mojo sauce recipe
courtesy of Cocina Cubana/ Pascual Perez/ Sonia Martinez/

The authentic mojo is made with juice from sour oranges. It still has that little orangy taste, but its very acid and tart. You can come close by mixing equal amounts of freshly squeezed orange juice with lime juice (*). If you live in areas with large concentration of Latinos you will probably find bottled Mojo (Goya brand makes one) or their produce department might have the slightly bumpy, thick skinned sour oranges. This recipe makes one cup.

1/3 cup olive oil
6 to 8 cloves garlic, thinly sliced or minced
2/3 cup sour orange juice or lime juice
(or equal portions oj and lime juice)
1/2 tsp ground cumin
Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste

Heat the olive oil in a deep saucepan over medium heat. Add the garlic and cook until fragrant and lightly toasted. Don't let it brown or it will be acrid tasting, just about 30 seconds should do it.

Add the sour orange juice, cumin and salt and pepper. STAND BACK; the sauce may sputter. Bring to a rolling boil. Taste and correct seaoning, if needed

Cool before serving. Mojo is best when served within a couple of hours of making, but it will keep for several days, well capped in a jar or bottle, in the refrigerator.

Use with Cuban sandwiches, boiled yuca, grilled seafood and meats, fried green plantain chips, etc.

I have seen recipes for mojo using cilantro in it, but that is not traditional to Cuban Cuisine.

(*) I prefer to add more lime juice than orange, as I like it very tart.

Tulsa kid, can I just first wish you and your family a happy thanksgiving and say thanks for your service and protection of our country.

Secondly, your gonna find loads of help here. The Bretheren are knowledgeable and friendly to all(even rookies like me).

My humble suggestion: heavy smoke that sucker for 2-3 hours then finish in your oven. That is of course after you've rubbed and injected. Then foil.

Peace brother

Fin

chad said:
Here's one recipe from tasteofcuba.com
http://www.tasteofcuba.com/mojo.html

Cuban Mojo sauce recipe

courtesy of Cocina Cubana/ Pascual Perez/ Sonia Martinez/​

The authentic mojo is made with juice from sour oranges. It still has that little orangy taste, but its very acid and tart. You can come close by mixing equal amounts of freshly squeezed orange juice with lime juice (*). If you live in areas with large concentration of Latinos you will probably find bottled Mojo (Goya brand makes one) or their produce department might have the slightly bumpy, thick skinned sour oranges. This recipe makes one cup.

1/3 cup olive oil
6 to 8 cloves garlic, thinly sliced or minced
2/3 cup sour orange juice or lime juice
(or equal portions oj and lime juice)
1/2 tsp ground cumin
Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste​

Heat the olive oil in a deep saucepan over medium heat. Add the garlic and cook until fragrant and lightly toasted. Don't let it brown or it will be acrid tasting, just about 30 seconds should do it.​

Add the sour orange juice, cumin and salt and pepper. STAND BACK; the sauce may sputter. Bring to a rolling boil. Taste and correct seaoning, if needed​

Cool before serving. Mojo is best when served within a couple of hours of making, but it will keep for several days, well capped in a jar or bottle, in the refrigerator.​

Use with Cuban sandwiches, boiled yuca, grilled seafood and meats, fried green plantain chips, etc.​

I have seen recipes for mojo using cilantro in it, but that is not traditional to Cuban Cuisine.​

(*) I prefer to add more lime juice than orange, as I like it very tart.​
thanx but whould it work with the dr pepper?

can i inject it with the cuban stuff today and cook it wensday?

ghostrider said:
can i inject it with the cuban stuff today and cook it wensday?

I'd do it Tuesday and cook Wednesday...the acids in the mojo will definately do their job too well. This is true of most injections except maybe "plain" butter and apple juice.

Back