• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

First Brisket

Exocet

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Did my first brisket this past weekend. About a 6.5 lb flat. Rubbed down the night before then onto the UDS at 8:30 am. Ran at about 280-300 deg. When the internal temp was 175 deg, I foiled it and let go until the temp was 210 deg (probe tender). Then, off to rest for 2 hours.

Overall, I'd give it an 8. Just a bit dry on the very bottom. But, tender, juicy and great flavor. Better than many BBQ briskets I've paid for. I cooked it fat side up. Maybe I need to flip it over part way through?

Also did another pork shoulder as well for pulled pork. Cooked close to 9 hours before the bone would pull out.

To accompany the brisket and shoulder my wife made some artery clogging 4 cheese mac & cheese. We wrapped it up with homemade apple crisp. And many cold beers to wash it down. Ahhh... BBQ coma. My in-laws were impressed.

Didn't have as many leftovers as I had hoped. Bummer. No BBQ sammies for lunch at work.

My daughter wants me to smoke a turkey for Thanksgiving. We'll have to see how the weather ends up.

It may be just me and my limited experience, but maybe wrap it earlier, about 150 in a foil pan with some beef broth mixture and then let it go until internal temp is more like 195.
This is what I have done and both of my briskets have been really good. I keep my temp very low, about 225. I don't flip the brisket, keep it fat side up.

brisket

I usually cook at a steady 250 degrees on my brisket for about 13 hours and always fat side up sprits once in a whole I never turn over. for pull pork I use apple cider vinegar to spritz I wrap after the fat starts to crack usually after 5 hours then wrap tight in foil for another 3 hours or until bone can bend out let rest for at least an hour wrapped loose then shred

The only thing you need to change is go fat cap down until yo wrap it, and don't add anything to the foil you don't need it that brisket will give off plenty on it's own. This is my typical cook always keep the fat to the fire.
Blu Brisket

• I cook packers in 6 hrs + rest time pit grate temp 300 deg
  • cook 4 hrs fat cap down( direct heat) or Point to the firebox (Indirect heat)
  • end of 4th hr wrap in single layer of butcher paper go back on fat cap up
  • 5 th hr probe the thickest spot on the Flat if it passes pull if not check it again in 30 min( before the 2nd hr has past it will be like butter)
  • sit the wrapped packer on a sheet pan on the counter in the kitchen and monitor the temp in the thickest part of the flat.
  • once it has dropped to 150 deg( aprox 2 hrs) carve it & scarf it

DSCF0089.jpg

DSCF0086.jpg

DSCF0087.jpg

No leftovers means ya done Good so go ahead and buy a 15 lb packer next time. :wink:

Just wrap the UDS in a Wool or Welding Blanket if Weather gets cold. Ill probally be in Shorts or well get an Ice Storm :crazy: - either way I'll be Smoking a Turkey.

+ 1 on cooking fat cap down on the UDS, and then fat cap up when wrapped in foil or butcher paper with no additives. The fat cap down helps insulate from the direct heat of the UDS. There is enough (or should be) fat in the brisket to keep the meat from drying out so fat cap up is not necessary to retain moisture. There is plenty of natural moisture present when cooking with a UDS as long as you keep the lid on and don't peek while cooking. Peeking lets the moisture out and causes the temp to fluctuate wildly.

Blessings,
Omar

Thanks for the replies. I'll try the fat down to start with the next time. Then wrap and fat side up.

I'm getting hungry just thinking about it.

Back