7x14/16 Enclosed trailer vs small Toy Hauler

LTG

Take a breath!
Reaction score
Looking for input from experienced teams before making a large purchase for next season. Team plans are to do a few more contests next year. 3 team members that sleep onsite. Currently using a 22.5" WSM and a drum. We will be adding another drum in the offseason.

Options are:

-7x14 or 7x16 enclosed cargo trailer and then up fitting for comp use. Adding sink, counter, a/c, finishing inside, etc.

-Used small toy hauler. I've seen quite a few in the 6-8k range. 16-18 ft. We realize that it will be cozy sleeping wise but water, a/c, finished insides, etc are already done.

Trying to stay with something that can fit in a standard 20x20 space.

Thoughts?

I finally got a camper this year and it makes the sleeping and dealing with weather a lot better. Both my backwoods fit in the back of my truck so I didn't need a toy hauler, but am still looking for a toy hauler :becky:. I wanted something that was at most 30ft from back to tongue since all the spots here are 20x30.

7x16 might be tight to sleep 3 people so try to set expectations at to what is realistic. Having a fully functional competition trailer that also sleeps 3 people seems like a stretch to me, even if there were foldable bunk beds.

If the end result with the cargo trailer is to build it our to include a head, sink, stove top, microwave, beds, etc. like the toy hauler you may end up spending as much or more, especially if you take your labor into account. Having the toy hauler has made competitions much easier for us, both on site (set up and tear down) and once we are home. We stick our dirty dishes in one of the cambros and bring them into the house to wash. On the day before the comp we restock the supplies, put the dishes back, load the coolers and we're ready to go.

If the end result with the cargo trailer is to build it our to include a head, sink, stove top, microwave, beds, etc. like the toy hauler you may end up spending as much or more, especially if you take your labor into account. Having the toy hauler has made competitions much easier for us, both on site (set up and tear down) and once we are home. We stick our dirty dishes in one of the cambros and bring them into the house to wash. On the day before the comp we restock the supplies, put the dishes back, load the coolers and we're ready to go.
What brand/model do you have? I'm hoping to get some ideas @ Arthur, IL comp on what I want...

Toy hauler all the way. With all the upgrades you will do you'll be close to the price. We've used ours camping a ton with the family as well so we get a lot of use out of it.

Work 'n Play Toy Hauler by Forest River 18LT. 23 end of tongue to back so can cheat into a 20X20. With awning, cooker come out and sit there. Plenty of room for 3 if two can share :twisted: otherwise, talk will occur. Otherwise, bunk sharing on a tag team basis with one being the fire watch. The bath room beat the hell out of porta potties in Texas about 3 in the afternoon.

Toy Hauler. No question.

We started off with a 7 x 14 cargo trailer - and while we could fit a lot of "stuff" in it, it was a lot of stuff we really didn't need. Which took forever to pack and unpack.

We took a hard look at what we really needed, streamlined it - and then only packed that and the cookers into the new toy hauler we got this year. So much easier to set-up and break down. Nice having running hot water and a bathroom, and a REAL BED!

While it was a big expense, we are so glad we did it. Like dhuffjr says above, we now use it for camping as well - so it's not a one-trick pony.

• Thanks
Reactions: CBQ
Toy hauler, toy hauler, toy hauler. Started out with Motor Home (already had it) and ez ups - not enough storage in the motor home. Moved to pulling a 16' enclosed trailer with the motor home - usually had to have off site parking for motor home. Went to 30' cargo trailer converted to cook trailer with living quarters - really nice, only room for two to sleep, lot of money to convert. Now - fifth wheel toy hauler, can sleep four, garage converted to kitchen, really sweet. Wish I started where I ended up, would have saved a lot of money. Only regret - probably should have gone with a little smaller unit.

This is a great thread. I've been having the same internal dialogue between an enclosed trailer or a toy hauler. It seems the overwhelming response is toy hauler. The only thing that I'm still being wishy washy about is the occasional vending we do.

No question, Toy Hauler. You'll spend more outfitting the trailer and it still wont be near as comfortable.

Only regret - probably should have gone with a little smaller unit.
I'm the opposite, I'd like a bigger one. With my neighborhood though the one I have is all I can maneuver around unless I move.

Mine is 26 ft tongue to tail.

My toy hauler is 42', and we use the tailgate as a platform for the smokers, meaning we need a 50' site. Not cheap, and not available at all comps.

On the vending side, we put a 3' x 4' vending window in ours. The window cost $750 and a local RV repair shop put it in for $100 (I was a little afraid of cutting a huge hole in the side of the trailer myself). It works great for vending and at the comps where space is an issue and we can't leave the tailgate down we put the smokers beside the trailer and use the window to pass things in and out.

My toy hauler is 42', and we use the tailgate as a platform for the smokers, meaning we need a 50' site. Not cheap, and not available at all comps.

On the vending side, we put a 3' x 4' vending window in ours. The window cost $750 and a local RV repair shop put it in for $100 (I was a little afraid of cutting a huge hole in the side of the trailer myself). It works great for vending and at the comps where space is an issue and we can't leave the tailgate down we put the smokers beside the trailer and use the window to pass things in and out.

Would you mind posting a pic of your setup? I'd like to see what the vending window looks like.

I'm the opposite, I'd like a bigger one. With my neighborhood though the one I have is all I can maneuver around unless I move.

Mine is 26 ft tongue to tail.

Hey Dennis, I am thinking of getting one myself, but I have to find something I can pull with my 2001 F150 (7500lbs max trailer). I can't remember, what did you get and what do use to pull it?

Back