Seared Kangaroo Fillet

Notorious P.I.G.

Got Wood.
Reaction score
Got the BGE up to 390C opened it up to put the fillets on and forgot to burp it!!! I'm lucky I've still got the hair on my head :oops: after cleaning my pants I then threw the fillets on for a minute either side.
Let them rest for around 5 minutes then sliced up and served with some Stirfry vegetables.
25qccb7.jpg

96ffgm.jpg

71jozm.jpg

I have forgot to burp my Egg no what you mean about cleaning your pants :mrgreen: Nice looking meat Never tried Roo how is it

That looks great. What does Kangaroo taste like? Please dont say chicken:laugh: Is it like domestic beef or wild game.

To answer both your questions it's more like wild game than beef, sort of like venison. It's got it's own distinct flavour though. I'd recommended trying it if you can ever find it. I actually prefer it a little rarer than this.

Curous about roo too and what's burping an egg? Looks mighty fine.

If you've got a kamado at high temp and just open the lid you get a rush of oxygen which creates a back draft which in turn leaves you with no hair on the arm you opened the kamado with. So you burp it to let a little oxygen in first then open it. Hope that explains it.

How does the price of kangaroo in Australia compare to beef? What is the per pound price for kangaroo fillet?

Now I wanna find some Roo for the Q'.

I wonder if they have tasty bits that would work low and slow?

That looks great!

I found some are here recently, but passed it up since the price was around $15 lb if I remember correctly. But seeing these pics and your description of the taste, I just might have to give it a shot.

I just found out that Roo's are about 2% fat so low and slow is generally considered a poor choice. For Roo anything other than searing is generally ruining the meat.

That's the problem with being at the top of the food chain... Finding ways to cook each and every animal.

I buy fillet in Sydney at around $20 per kilo ($9 per lb).
To my taste it has a mild game flavour near to wild deer. I find it very tasty when marinated in kikkoman teriyaki with a glug of honey, a squeeze of lemon & some olive oil. To my view the photo showed perfectly cooked roo. If it is not rare or medium rare it gets dry.
You can buy rougher cuts for slow cooking but you need to add bacon/pancetta or pork belly to keep it moist. I haven't tried it but I keep thinking about a confit of roo.
The rougher cuts are often used for dog food!!!
Wallaby is also available and it has a milder flavour.
John

Back