• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Critters in the wood pile :(

Cooknhogz

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
BBQn in NW, Pa. cuz a brothers gotta eat.
Don't think I will be covering any wood pile up with tarps again to keep it out of the weather. Last fall I cut about a cord of Apple, Hickory, and Hard Maple for this summers cooks/smokes. Well, yesterday I uncovered the split stacked wood and discovered that, what I believe is mice have been all threw out the pile because you can see where they chewed on a bunch of the apple woods bark (must be pretty tasty to a mouse) and of course droppings threw out the pile. Now, I live in the country, and the pile is stacked next to the woods, so small animals like mice, chipmunks, and squirrels are to be expected all around but have never noticed this ever before in any of my wood piles. So my concern now is should I even use this wood for cooking/smoking in my large cookers or is it just a good pile of campfire wood now. Maybe I'm over thinking this but I'm anel about cleanliness and its driving me crazy thinking on what to do here.

Keep the cover off for while & let the rain wash it off.

^^^this^^^^ it will be fine. When it's time to cook just knock the pieces of wood together to get rid of anything loose and look over it good and you should be fine.

Sounds like a 100% normal woodpile to me. Around here you can usually add copperheads, black widow spiders, and yellowjacket nests to the mix.

I sprinkle liberally all over and more under/around the woodpile with black pepper.
Seems to help, and bought in bulk on sale it is cheap.

Personally, I think the best way to protect from moisture is only to cover the top of the wood pile with a tarp or wood as wide or slightly wider than the woodpile. This will keep most water out, but will also prevent mold and mildew and allow quicker drying of the pile. It'll also not allow critters to have as many hiding places.

Personally, I think the best way to protect from moisture is only to cover the top of the wood pile with a tarp or wood as wide or slightly wider than the woodpile. This will keep most water out, but will also prevent mold and mildew and allow quicker drying of the pile. It'll also not allow critters to have as many hiding places.
^^This ^^ and a couple outside cats!

I've never seen a wood pile that didn't have critters in it (including the one on this site).

lol this, i see some bail out when i move wood around, but then i call my dogs and solve that problem.

I've never seen a wood pile that didn't have critters in it (including the one on this site).

Trees in the woods have critters as well. It adds character. Seriously, no big deal at all. The fire will kill anything that might still be there. :p

The last Critter I had in the wood pile played a Morocca and had fangs:shock:

Move it into the house!

Actually I'm glad you asked. I'm planning on picking up some wood in a couple of weeks to start trying my hand at my stickburner. I was worried about the same thing.

My yellow lab would keep herself occupied for hours chasing critters in the wood pile. If you can't use a .22, one of those little airsoft guns work wonders too!

Back