Failed kettle pizza attempt that tasted good, anyway...

caseydog

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
So, my plan was to grill a pizza for the super-incredible BBQ Brethren Pizza Throwdown. http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=154825

I try to keep my pizzas close to the ones I have eaten in Italy.

I started off right, making some fresh dough in the KitchenAid.

picture.php

I forgot to take pictures of the finished dough. :doh:

I made a fresh sauce with San Marzano tomatoes, fresh oregano from the garden (is survives winter, here), some garlic, and fresh ground black pepper. I mixed it all up in the blender. BTW, I use Kirkland's jarred California garlic because it is better than what I typically find fresh in the grocery store).

picture.php

My toppings were Sopressata, a dry sausage similar to pepperoni (which is an American sausage), that you would find in Italy, sliced mushrooms and bell pepper, and fresh mozzarella.

picture.php

Here it is, all ready for the 22.5 redhead kettle.

picture.php

I loaded a full chimney or hot coals into the kettle, put a grate on top, and a stone on top of that, close it up, and waited. And waited. And waited. WTF? I couldn't get above 300 degrees. The only explanation I have is that it was pretty windy outside.

Anyway, time for plan B, the kitchen oven.

It did turn out very tasty. I highly recommend San Marzano tomatoes and Sopressata to you pizza grillers. They are very authentic, and WOW, the flavor is excellent. :thumb:

I ate a slice, before taking a final shot, just to be sure it was good enough to photograph for the brethren. :wink:

picture.php

CD

Did it fail because you couldn't cook it all on the kettle? It looks like a hit from here. IMO, it still counts if it got any grill time.

I like the idea of the hot soppressata. Will have to try that.

Nice looking pizza. Have you ever had problems like this? Did you have extra fuel in the kettle? I think if you waited for just the charcoal in the chimney to get full lit you lost a lot of the heating power. I am just throwing out other thing that it might have been.

You got some beautiful coloring going on there with that pizza, Caseydog! Wow, you really went all out with the choice ingredients. :thumb:

Did it fail because you couldn't cook it all on the kettle? It looks like a hit from here. IMO, it still counts if it got any grill time.

I like the idea of the hot soppressata. Will have to try that.

It didn't get any grill time. :mmph:

CD

Nice looking pizza. Have you ever had problems like this? Did you have extra fuel in the kettle? I think if you waited for just the charcoal in the chimney to get full lit you lost a lot of the heating power. I am just throwing out other thing that it might have been.

It was about 65 outside, with 10-20 mph variable winds. I really think the wind was my problem. I've done pizza on the kettle before, and it worked fine. I probably should have used the 18.5 OTG, too. Less space to heat.

CD

Well it looks and sounds awesome! It really is a shame you couldn't get your redhead up to temp so you could enter it in the BBQ Pizza Throw Down!

Looks perfect to me. Sucks about the grill malfunction. I actually made 2 pies yesterday. One with just sauce and cheese that went into the oven because the kids don't appreciate the charcoal flavor on their pizza. Sad but true. :tsk:

I loaded a full chimney or hot coals into the kettle, put a grate on top, and a stone on top of that, close it up, and waited. And waited. And waited. WTF? I couldn't get above 300 degrees. The only explanation I have is that it was pretty windy outside.

No fail in my book, looks pretty darn tasty to me!

I wonder if it might be a combination of the wind and a draft issue? How much space does the stone take up inside the kettle? I had a similar issue last weekend with a couple slabs of ribs on my bandera. Trying to be frugal and not have to wash two racks I put two untrimmed racks of spares on one grates and into the bandera. For the life of me I couldn't get it above 315 no matter how much fuel I put in it, and with the intakes wide open. Figured it must not be getting enough draft to burn where I wanted it, so I split the two racks onto separate grates and wah-lah... temps were up to normal in no time.

Back