• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Texas Test Kitchen Brisket

Despite the lack of a smoke ring, it looks excellent. Bark looks delish.

Austinknight, how did it taste sir?

It was really good the rub I used old #2 is good but it's not for me, I just like s&p or dirty d over it, I think cause of the sugar in it. I think I'm to simple,beer, bbq family and friends what more could you want.

Sent from my SGH-T999

It was really good the rub I used old #2 is good but it's not for me, I just like s&p or dirty d over it, I think cause of the sugar in it. I think I'm to simple,beer, bbq family and friends what more could you want.

Sent from my SGH-T999

I do like old no. 2, but you're right, it does have sugar in it. I do use it from time to time on brisket, but I add so many other spices to the "mix", the sugar has not been a problem for me.

I just received a package this week containing various Butcher BBQ rubs that I anxous to try out.

Yer test kitchen needs a taste tester methinks. I'm sure I'm up to the task. :hungry:

That's a fine looking test. Based on sight alone I just have to give that bad boy an A!

Thirdeye and I had this problem... solved by doing two things... .. smoke at 200 or under for like 2 hours.... then ramp it up. Shorter if your meat is room temp when you put it in. I also add seasalt in my rub. Of course now that I use a UDS... I am struggling to teak it to get that smoke ring again. I may need to smoke lower in the uds cuz its closer to the fire. I don't know.

Incredible shotz... look like Angelos BBQ and nothing in this shot says anything but Texas Style Brisket. Who needs Kansas City BS?

[quote

Worcestershire, Dirty D and old #2 brisket rub
20130216_082637.jpg

1h 30min in
20130216_100843.jpg

Wrapped after 3h
20130216_114111.jpg

After hold
imagejpeg_2%2520%25281%2529.jpg

brisket.jpg

20130216_180919-1.jpg

20130216_180919.jpg

20130216_182142.jpg
[/quote]

Of course now that I use a UDS... I am struggling to teak it to get that smoke ring again. I may need to smoke lower in the uds cuz its closer to the fire. I don't know.

Even though its not supposed to be a judging criteria in KCBS you hear all kinds of talk about it. AND in IBCA, Texas folks always say "Nice Smoke Ring" like first thing.

So, when using my UDS's, I went to Cherry Chunks for Brisket. Give it a shot, you'll see more of a ring.

Even though its not supposed to be a judging criteria in KCBS you hear all kinds of talk about it. AND in IBCA, Texas folks always say "Nice Smoke Ring" like first thing.

So, when using my UDS's, I went to Cherry Chunks for Brisket. Give it a shot, you'll see more of a ring.

I've never tried Cherry for brisket, however if you really want a smoke ring w/out resorting to TQ, try a light dusting of celery salt a few hours before you throw the brisket on. Not too much though or you may taste it, which may not be a good thing - depending on your taste buds.

There is no separate appearance score in IBCA but it is taken into consideration and you are right - a smoke ring always gets noticed.

Incredible shotz... look like Angelos BBQ and nothing in this shot says anything but Texas Style Brisket. Who needs Kansas City BS?
Thx brotha I understand your funk I'd like to think I've picked up what you've put down your video's really are inspirational looking forward to your future UDS videos:-D, when I drive back from Denison in March I'll remember to stop by Angelos BBq, I love to try 50yr old Q joints they seems to do it right :becky:

Looks great! Do you use a diffuser or go directly over the coals?

Thx brotha, no diffuser just HnF over the coals

I was at a comp with my family and some other comp folks all loving the brisket and some keith stone drunk came up to my tent and was just doggin me about my faint smoke ring he was appalled or something he wouldn't even try it, his women was just as bad. You know on pitmaster when that drunk goes poking at Johnny Trigg, I got like Johnny shortly after him ramballing. They seem to think a 1/4 smoke ring really makes a difference, I remember having a better ring using cherry when I first started doing briskets I think you just made me come full circle THx brotha

Last edited:
Shots of the point
IMG_20130216_181120.jpg
Best part of a brisket if you ask me or any Texan that loves them some peppery smokey fatty beefy brisket. Anyone know one? :twitch:

The idiot that came over bothering you, ya shoulda stuck a foot in his arse. I had a drunk baffoon come over and try take over my chicken prep and "show me something" because "he has cooked In the rodeo" at my last comp. I almost tied his fatt butt in a knot when he tore one of my breast skins. I got real pissed at that point and said a few choice words and demanded he leave my site and never return. He was just shiggin! Good thing I switch out all my rub bottles and marinades. He probably actually thinks I'm Cookin my chicken with McCormick garlic, chile and cumin! Amd marinade in texas pepper jelly rib candy Lol we got 3rd again he didn't place again. Brisket looks aweeesuuuum!

I cooked my last brisket on the UDS at 300 Fat cap down,I do 50/50 ksalt & course grind wrap at 4 hrs in BP. Not that it matters except for apearance but I get a good ring
DSCF0047.jpg

Back