Smoking me some cheese

Smoker101

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Well i am give it a shot to smoke myself some cheese. I am doing it as a cold smoke. this is the kicker, i was not able to get my hands on a can or any thing else that would work to hold the chips so i am using a clay (new) flower pot to hold the chips. i have a (new) soldering iron in it and it is smoking away after like 5 min. i have hot pepper cheese, cheddar and Colby cheese smoking away. pic to come as soon as i am done. and this is all being done on my grill.

You are going to be hooked! Home smoked cheese is just awesome.

Try out this recipe;

· [FONT=&quot]3 cups freshly shredded extra sharp smoked cheddar cheese[/FONT]
· [FONT=&quot]1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese[/FONT]
· [FONT=&quot]1 1/2 cups small diced roasted red bell peppers (freshly fire-roasted)[/FONT]
· [FONT=&quot]1/2 cup chopped pimento-stuffed green olives[/FONT]
· [FONT=&quot]4 tablespoons mayonnaise[/FONT]
· [FONT=&quot]1 tablespoon chopped fresh flat leaf parsley[/FONT]
· [FONT=&quot]2 teaspoons chopped green onion (white and green parts mixed)[/FONT]
· [FONT=&quot]1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper[/FONT]
· [FONT=&quot]1/4 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce[/FONT]
· [FONT=&quot]Favorite hot sauce to taste[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]In large mixing bowl stir together cheeses, peppers, olives, mayonnaise, parsley, green onion, pepper, Worcestershire sauce, and hot sauce. Serve with Ritz crackers, crisps, or bread.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I served it as an appetizer before the dinner of shrimp and grits and Plowboys rubbed chicken smoked on the UDS.
[/FONT][FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][/FONT]

cool I am going to try it tomorrow. btw how long did you smoke for

That's cool, I'll have to give it try next fall or winter. What pit temp are you going for?

SWEET! You will love it.Vaccum seal it( or freezer ziploc) and let it mellow in da fridge for AT LEAST a week(2 weeks is better) before serving.:thumb:

I'm wondering if you couldn't just do this setup inside a decent sized cooler... it would make it easier to keep the cheese cold... I am gonna have to try this now... lol

Smoked cheese rules, I smoke it all the time on my 22.5 OTS with my coffee can and soldering iron rig. So easy to take some cheap cheese and make it really good.

Good idea using a soldering iron. I think its about time to break out the bread and make yourself a smoked grill cheese.

cool I am going to try it tomorrow. btw how long did you smoke for

I left it smoke for an hour and a half. I used cherry wood chips.

i tried to keep my pit temp below 90*. when i started to smoke the cheese it was at 83* and the highest was 93* so i would lift the lid for like a min or two and it would drop down to around 86*. keeping ice in there does help and keep it out of the sun. You are able to do the smoking in a cooler, but i did not have one to do the smoking in that i wanted to ruin as a smoker. because once you smoke in a cooler it will be noting but a smoke smelled cooler for a long time. i know you need to keep it wrapped for at least a week but my co-workers want to try the cheese so i will break it out on friday. it will have been wrapped and in the fridge for over 24 hours. so i hope it will turn out fine.

awsome. I have my cheese sitting out right now just "drying out" i bit and then i will get it going. I will be keeping in the shade so we will see what happens. I went and bought some ice so i would be sure to have pleanty for it. I am hoping to start in about an hr from now. Cherry wood. Hmm i haven't decided what i am going to use yet. I was thinking wither that apple or maple.

Alright, that settles it. I've got to go get a new soldering iron. Might have to try to flower pot method too!

I stopped in at Osceola Cheese on my way back from Springfield last week and picked up some horseradish & chive havarti as well as some tomato basil cheddar. I might have to try smoking those using this method. Thanks!

Last edited:
I stopped in at Osceola Cheese on my way back from Springfield last week and picked up some horseradish & cheese havarti as well as some tomato basil cheddar. I might have to try smoking those using this method. Thanks!

We stop there when we head that way, all of the samples are great. They have lots to choose from.

Back