Looking forward to seeing the video someday
Johnny could do a internet BBQ school with the video of the class

Main things I came away with
1 The Triggs are a treasure to BBQ
2 Sterling and Big Poppas Smokers Co are excellent hosts
3 The temperatures I have been cooking at will be changing
4 hummmm not tellin

Last edited:
Thanks Thom I was really happy with the team and staff...I think Johnny was blown away by all of the production, graphic arts,food, and support....We were blown away by the people that showed up....A really great group of smokers.

What has to be it's own paragraph is that Johnny could have grandpa'd us. You know phoned it in...told a few stories and called it good. He and Trish gave a thousand percent...he was just amazing and she is the rock. He went so far above and beyond. You know when someone just knocks down walls? That's what the Triggs did.

THis was his first solo class....How many teachers give the entire class their cell phone? Johnny did.

He truly wanted to help all of us. Thanks Johnny! (mamma too!>)

View of Johnny Trigg Class

I agree with Thom.
The Triggs are Great Ambassadors of the sport.

Sterling and the Big Poppa Team did a wonderful job and make you feel like one big BBQ family.

I will be cooking my briskets and butts at different temps.

And on #4 I'm not tellin too. There were a lot of team members. A lot flew in and I predict a lot will walk with their new skills.

I will add I have a new cooking method for chicken and I am waiting for the store to open to buy some ribs and try out what I learned.

Sorry I missed out on this one. Trish is one sweet Texas Lady and I'm sure Big Poppa's made it first class!

Wow! Even this morning we are still blown away with what we learned and how Johnny laid it all out there for us! :thumb: After witnessing his prep, cooking, and presentation along with tasting his BBQ we now know why he is known as The Godfather of BBQ...also we know why he is up there right now in the KCBS points standings...amazing BBQ!

Rhana and I are very excited about implementing a few of his tips and tricks this season...:becky:

As far as the host of the class...Big Poppa's pulled out all the stops as well...Sterling and his crew were amazing! The catering was first rate and his attention to detail was second to none...thanks brother! :p

Group shot...

What a class! Johnny was truly a great teacher! He didn't hold back one bit. I'm thankful we had the chance to go!

Also BPS were great host. They made sure we were welcome. They came up every little bit and asked if we needed anything such as water, soda, and snacks. It wad a great time!

Sounds like there was a lot of BBQ learning going on in California this weekend.

Just got home from the CBBQA BBQ University Competition Class taught by David Bouska of Butcher's BBQ up north a bit. He shared everything (and yes, phone number too :wink:) and is also a class act. I learned a ton and had a great time.

Good times in CA BBQ!

I've got to admit during the 4 and a half hour flight out there Thurs night with my XL sized a$$ & tiny little seat. I was thinking this has got to be one of the dumber things I've done.
Now sitting here back at home I'm thinking what a great experience. Big Poppa Smokers did one heck of a job. It was worth the trip to hear Mr Triggs stories let alone what I learned.
Johnny said it almost brings a tear to his eye when he see's one of his students get a call at a tournament. Well I hope next weekend in Mobile I have him crying like a little kid.:laugh: And to Sterling & the Big Poppas Team. I wish we weren't 2000+ miles apart. I'd love to set up next to you guys at a comp. Maybe someday. Thanks again Mr Ball.:thumb:

Last edited:
Inmitch I will be following you this coming weekend..

I know it was a leap of faith to come to us and we wanted to make sure that you came away happy.

I didnt realize that Johnny had never done a class by himself before...WE started an hour early and finished over an hour behind schedule and I think he is the 72 year old energizer bunny

Everyone attending got one of these and a group shot
Well when I figure out how to load from a disc LOL

I wish Johnny had a web site and scheduled classes regularly. Maybe he is planning to. I live 30 miles from him and would love to take his class.

Inmitch I will be following you this coming weekend..

I know it was a leap of faith to come to us and we wanted to make sure that you came away happy.

I didnt realize that Johnny had never done a class by himself before...WE started an hour early and finished over an hour behind schedule and I think he is the 72 year old energizer bunny

The Old Man has never met a word he didn't like:wink:

The Old Man has never met a word he didn't like:wink:
Tru-dat...if it weren't for Trish keeping him on track we'd all still be there! LOL! I truly enjoyed all his stories...particularly the ones about the Pit Master series...some crazy stuff goes on behind the scenes...LOL!

Johnny would do more classes but in our case we made it easy for him with the marketing, production, graphic arts, collection of money, and promotion. He was able to come in and have a support staff of 10. We also shot a three camera high definition video of the class as a gift to him. Once again Im just sitting back thinking...less than one year ago we were starting this little bbq business and here is the Godfather laying it all on the line!

Back