• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Seperating Brisket Before cooking?

M

mrichard

Hey everyone. I was just wondering if any people seperated the brisket point and flat before cooking and cooked each seperatly. I was watching the pitmasters episode shot at Dover and i noticed that Tuffy would seperate the two parts before cooking. I have always cooking my packer whole and then split the two parts to finish off the burnt ends. Thanks for any feedback.

Matt Richard
Blazin' Blues BBQ

I seperate mine too.
On an 18.5" WSM it's the best way to get the flat to fit. I put the point in the center of the grate and lay the flat fat side down over it.

BTW: Don't forget to smoke some of the fat you trim off. Wait till it gets good and crispy. Great snacky treats!

I seperated one at the last comp I went to but saddly over cooked my flat so I wont do it again.

The responses cover the spectrum:becky:

There are teams that do VERY well with it. There are others that don't trim nearly as heavily and do VERY well, also.

It all comes down to your method, and attention to detail. Half the fun/frustration is in finding what works for you.

Not brisket, but I do separate my pork. :shock: :p

Matt,
I was thinking the same thing today. I think I'm going to give it a try on my next brisket.

Back