• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Rub Shelf Life

Ron_L

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Since I really have cooked much in the last year or so I have a bunch of rubs that are at least a year old. Some are new and sealed, some have been opened.

What is the shelf life of...

a) Unopened Rub?

b) Opened Rub?

All spices lose their potency over time as the essence oils in the product breaks down. This happens in both sealed and unsealed packages.

I have vac-sealed and froze some rubs, whether or not it actually helped to extend the life is really debatable...

I found the best test is to: just taste it before you use it., If it tastes fine you can use it, or add to it.

I try to use my spices and rubs within 6 months, because I do not know how long it was on the shelf / warehouse.

They probably start to break down after a year but I've had a chili mix that was still working well after 5+ years. It might depend on the spice. Basil seems to go faster IME.

I toss my unused and opened rubs after 6-8 months.

I've definitely got a few with some age on them. I'm a big fan of the sniffer test. If the rub still has a good odor then I'm thinking it will still have a good taste.

Of course, tasting it sounds like a smart idea too...... as others have mentioned, I imagine the actual make-up of the rub has a lot to do with whether its shelf life.

Thanks, guys...

I did sniff and taste :-D

I found an old post from Plowboy that says that the salt and sugar in the rub don't fade with age, but any herbs and spices will, so the rub may be saltier or sweeter when it gets older.

Damn son, buy smaller quantities or cook more!:biggrin1:

Ever since I found this place and was introduced to great rubs like Yard Bird, HDD, Rub Co SM, and Big Ron's I don't use much of anything else these days!

I often mix my own rubs. I used to find that they would clump up real bad when stored. Then I figured out what I was doing wrong. I was using onion powder. Then I switched to granulated onion and that problem totally went away. Never ever going to buy onion powder again.

seattlepitboss

Any of you all that are throwing out rubs that are a year old or so, send 'em my way instead. :becky:

Ground spices rapidly decrease after 6 months If you keep them in a dark dry cool place and air tight it helps tremendously to prolong the potency.

Ron, I would heat a little of the opened ones in a hot pan, you will know right away if there is an aroma that they are good or now in that sense. You will still need to taste, as there are oils that can go rancid, taste is the only way to know.

Back