First Smoke in the Green Egg

B

BurntOfferings

I had just finished the table for the egg and decided to test if for our July 4th cookout. I finished cooking 30lbs. of butts on the Oklahoma Joe and finally got the fire started at 09:00PM and put a 18lb. brisket on about 09:30PM. got the temp steady @ 250 about 12:00PM. The lid of the egg was not opened from 09:30 until 06:30 the next morning. The Internal temp of the brisket was just over 200 and looked like this:
Brisket.jpg
Wrapped it in foil and left in on for 2 more hrs. and stored until served. After the constant attention the offset needs this was the easiest and probably the best brisket I have smoked, and the 2lbs of lump it used is a lot better than the 40lbs used in the offset. I think the egg will take the place of the offset unless space is an issue.

Looks great - I am not brave enough to do an overnighter yet - but soon.....

Yep, the eggs have become primary cookers at my house.

Uds and Spicewine are feeling neglected around my place also. Eggs are a great family smoker/grill.

After the constant attention the offset needs this was the easiest and probably the best brisket I have smoked, and the 2lbs of lump it used is a lot better than the 40lbs used in the offset. I think the egg will take the place of the offset unless space is an issue.

I haven't used my offset once since I got the WSM and have only used my WSM, when I needed more grill space, once since I got my Big Green Egg.

How did those good looking butts taste to you? Were you happy with the way they pulled?

Very nice!

I have also been neglecting my other cookers since the herd of Eggs has invaded my backyard.

Same here. Haven't touched my UDS's, my Chargriller nor my gasser since getting my egg. Now with the adjustable rig and extender, most of my space issues are taken care of. I would like a small for smaller cooks. Three 6 oz. salmon filets look lonely on the large. Luckily it doesn't use much lump.

Congrats on that first cook, and that table is a work of beauty. I like those flip up wheels but how come you didn't just use casters w/locks?

Congrats on that first cook, and that table is a work of beauty. I like those flip up wheels but how come you didn't just use casters w/locks?
Just used what I had available, and when I decide where it will stay i can remove them

Good looking brisket, nice color......by chance did you use any smoking wood?

One suggestion, the bolts/nuts on the bands look like they can be tighter. The bolts should bend. Hate to have your drop a dome when opening......

T

One suggestion, the bolts/nuts on the bands look like they can be tighter. The bolts should bend. Hate to have your drop a dome when opening......

T
Yep, like Tom said, tighten them bolts till they bend.

T
Brisket was marinated in Olive Oil, Salt/Pepper and Legg's Plantation meat rub and a few chunks of Hickory.
I will check the bolts, Thanks

That might be your first cook on the egg, but not your first BBQ rodeo, by the looks of that great food. They really are set it and walk away aren't they. You might get bored though:wink: Nice table. Great avatar name too!

Paul

Back