Thoughts On Insulating Firebox and Cooking Chamber?

Joe Bryant

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I'm still in the "draw it out stages" still but planning on building a trailerable pit. Something along the size of a Lang 84 http://pigroast.com/model84m.htm but I'm going to use rectangle shape for the cooking chamber instead of round.

Had planned on using 1/4" steel plate like many use.

But Looking at the pics of Shaynes cooker here http://s161.photobucket.com/albums/t215/Shayne873/Smoker Pics/ and I'm starting to think maybe using a double wall construction with insulation for both the firebox and the cooking chamber.

I know some use this style for fireboxes but I don't see many using it for both firebox and cooking chamber.

Anyone have thoughts there?

Is there any reason not to?

What kind of practical benefits would I see from doing this?

Should I just do firebox only?

Thanks for insights. It's incredibly helpful to hear from people like y'all that have experience on this type of stuff.

Thanks.

J

Insulation always helps. Look at Spicewine, Backwoods, Stumps.

If I had the inclination (okay I have that) and the know how (okay I lack that) to build a smoker like you are describing it would be insulated.

Insulation always helps. Look at Spicewine, Backwoods, Stumps.

Thanks Norcoredneck,

The one thing that has me wondering if I'm getting off track is it seems most all the pits I see that are insulated are the vertical designs like you mentioned. (The custom pit in the pics I linked to was as well)

I don't see many (any?) folks doing that on an offset pit with a firebox. Just wondering if there might be a reason why.

Is it possible to be too efficient at holding the heat in? Wouldn't think so but a little unsure about doing something no one else is doing with this style.

Thanks.

J

As pointed out, Backwoods and Spicewine make very well respected, insulated cookers. I believe Gator Pits makes one now as well. It's a very well respected design around here. Any one care to comment on if FECs are insulated? Overall, I'd say insulated is a good thing. I'd also say insulation costs more.

You might wanna consider calling these guys: http://www.lasertrondirect.com/. I didn't think of it until seeing shane's pits, but I had some cabinetry made by them, and it was actually very affordable relative to what big pit builders charge. I bet they could build you something nice and pretty for a decent price.

Thought/question for the group: If you go with insulation, does it make more sense to go with 16 ga in stead of 1/4"? Saves on weight and cost.

dmp

The one thing that has me wondering if I'm getting off track is it seems most all the pits I see that are insulated are the vertical designs like you mentioned. (The custom pit in the pics I linked to was as well)

I'm just hypothesising here, but I think it may come down to comfort level here. Most people who build offset smokers build them with a horizontal section. More often then not, that horizontal section is round. I'd say round horizontal sections are more difficult to insulate than vertical, square sections.

Most people who want to build an insulated cook chamber go with the square vertical chamber, then put the fire right underneeth because it makes sense. Call up Gator Pits and ask them since they make both would be my suggestion.

dmp

I believe Stumps has offset pits that offer insulated firebox. Goes without saying but main emphasis is ability to get good seal to control air/burn.

Thanks dmp. I didn't see any gator pits that way. Do you think I'm maybe reading too much into the idea that most of these guys doing the insulated style are verticals?

J

To be honest, it think insulating the fire box is less important than the cook chamber...

I know when I did cold weather cooks this last winter, if I put a heavy blanket on the cook chamber my temps would stay right in line where without it, I had to monitor the fire a lot more close....

To be honest, it think insulating the fire box is less important than the cook chamber...

I know when I did cold weather cooks this last winter, if I put a heavy blanket on the cook chamber my temps would stay right in line where without it, I had to monitor the fire a lot more close....

Thanks Jeff. Yes, one of the things that had me thinking this was reading your posts about throwing a welding blanket on the cooking chamber and how that helped.

I cooked a couple of weeks ago and it was rainy and windy and that played some havoc with my temps that also had me thinking about this.

J

Heat loss (in Btu/hr) = U X A X TD (temperature differential)

The smoke chamber has more surface area but the firebox has more TD.

I went with adding heat shilds inside my Bandera fire box to improve efficiency.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7300&highlight=heat+shield

Last edited:
I cook with the stumps and I can tell you that the insulation really helps when the bad weather arrives.

I didn't see any gator pits that way. Do you think I'm maybe reading too much into the idea that most of these guys doing the insulated style are verticals?

Joe, Look here for the Gator cabinet:

http://www.gatorpit.net/prod01.htm

It's the Rebel One and Rebel two. Interestingly, the door is still 1/4", which seems like a bad idea to me. I'm sure he'll change that if you pay enough.

I am no master pit builder, but I think the issue with insulated verticals comes down to ease and tradition. Most people who build these texas style pits think it would be harder to insulate. Verticals are easier to insulate, the shape also helps the heat to rise in stead of move horizontally. Again, I think the best bet here is to call Ritch and ask him his whys. He's always been easy to get ahold of for me and very forthcoming with answers. You can also call the guys at Spicewine and ask them there thoughts and opinions.

One more thing to consider with insulated verticals, they usually have a lower fire tempurature and rely on the insulation. Just what I see, but you would likely save on fuel if you use charcoal or pellets. Firwood's pretty darned cheap though.

dmp

Thanks dmp.

I've been hesitant to call the guys in the business of building and selling pits as I'm going to build it myself. I know they're busy and I didn't want to take up their time if I'm not a prospective customer.

Maybe I'll shoot an email to them so they can answer if they have a second.

The point you make about verticals usually having a lower fire temp source is what has me thinking. I guess I have a fear that a normal style fire might be too much heat for an insulated offset if that makes sense.

I'll keep kicking it around.

I do agree with you that a lot of stuff we see is tradition. On one hand, maybe we don't see many insulated offset pits because it's a bad idea. On the other hand, maybe we don't see them just becuase that's not the easiest or the traditional way folks have done them.

J

I don't think there's any problem with asking any pit builder questions about building your own pit as long as you are honest with them. Tell them that you are building your own pit and you want some info and advice. If they want to help you, great. If they don't wanna give away trade secrets, at least you were honest. I think JJ might be a good source too.

I don't think a "regular" firebox will be too much for an insulated pit..you just may have to keep the fire smaller. I could be wrong though. I often am.

dmp

Joe you might want to consider this type of smoker. I built ift for a friend out of scrape the total price was around 15 bucks.
It the most even heating cooker Ive seen you also can grill on it. hold heat extremly well very
newsmokerfirstpork001.jpg
little wood. I like it so well Im building one for myself only it is on casters.

Joe,

You live in knoxville, and I doubt if you will deal with weather that will seriously affect your pit temps. Because you are looking at a stick burner, you are already generating a lot of excess heat. I have to keep all my vents closed, with just one about a 1/4 open to maintain 225*. In the coldest weather here, I might get to 1/3 open on the single vent. Actually, the only time I have the vents open is during startup, or when I am steaming the innards. Then I might have 2 of the 4 open. Just remember that the upright cabinets are a completely different beast. I want one, but only to compliment my Lang.

Back