Cleaning a UDS????

T

tlcpokertables

Hi everyone,
Well, this weekend I broke in my UDS by smoking 6 fatties and 2 racks of ribs in one shot. Aside from the expected racks getting caked up with grease, I have a puddle of liquid fat & grease at the bottom of my UDS. So what's the best way to deal with this? I almost feel like drilling a drip hole at the bottom, but I'm afraid it will affect the "self extinguishing" function when I shut it down. Any input would be great!

I dump some ash onto the fat and scoop it out with a dust pan with a long handle on it.

I put foil at the bottom.

A pan will be next. Then pull the pan out and clean the pan.

How about saw dust?.....I do a fair amount of woodworking and have plenty of that :wink:

Foil in the bottom would seem to be a good solution. I do exactly what aawa said, though.

this is the best tool for cleaning out your UDS

800443035825C.jpg

I bought a metal feed pan at Tractor Supply for 8 or 10 bucks and burned some charcoal in it to get rid of the coating and I put it in the bottom under my charcoal basket. I also use it to hold my charcoal chimney when I start the charcoal. Once the charcoal is ready I grab the pan with some welding gloves and put it in the bottom. Then put my charcoal basket in already loaded with unlit charcoal and wood chunks then pour my hot coals on top. The bottom of my UDS is clean and at the end of the cook I can just take the pan out the next day and dump it in the yard or compost bin.

Hi everyone,
Well, this weekend I broke in my UDS by smoking 6 fatties and 2 racks of ribs in one shot. Aside from the expected racks getting caked up with grease, I have a puddle of liquid fat & grease at the bottom of my UDS. So what's the best way to deal with this? I almost feel like drilling a drip hole at the bottom, but I'm afraid it will affect the "self extinguishing" function when I shut it down. Any input would be great!

Took the words right out of my mouth!

I ran mine today for a 6 hour cook with almost an hour heat up due to circumstances beyond my control. I literally have probably 2 pints in the bottom of mine.

Appreciate the post. I got my answer by looking at your post.

Ray

I have a removable dust pan I take off for when I'm not using a drip pan ( just 2 small pieces of wire), and like mentioned, just use the ash, small broom/dust pan to swirl the ash around, sweep up in the pan and dump. After each cook, or you can end up with one heck of a lot of grease.
i13r.jpg

I clean the bottom of my UDS with a shop vac after every couple of cooks. It works great.

I just flame over any grease pools outside the charcoal basket with my weed burner!

I open the side fire box door, spray some ProForce oven, grill and fryer cleaner on the fat, rinse and dry.

Spare lid, just cut off the outside ring and bend up the edges... I attached a ring on it to grab it and lift it out, it covers up most of the bottom so you don't get the mess.

Every once in a while i'll weed burn if there is an grease down there.

I did a Bacon Cheeseburger fatty (4lbs) and it left a Big puddle of grease in the bottom of my UDS. I left the lid off for a little longer than I should have when I was removing my fatty and the coals lit the grease up. Had a nice grease fire going for about half an hour. Took care of it. Got a bit of bubbling on some of the high temp paint at the bottom but didnt mess with my Eagles Stencil. Because the Eagles can handle the Heat!!! At least on a UDS, the football field is another story entirely....

Back