portabella question?

NOHENS

Full Fledged Farker

Batch Image
Reaction score
I have some sliced portabellas that I want to grill up tonight with my thick arse pork chops. My question is after the search bar check I see recipes for stuffed portabellas only? Hence my question brethren...how do y'all grill up portabella slices? A little help or suggestions appreciated?

You could use a veggie basket or just a sheet of foil or a foil baking sheet.

Or, if they are big enough, put them on a skewer or two to make them easier to handle.

I would use skewers.

as far as prep, I like to marinate in a rosemary/garlic balsamic vinagrette for ~30 mins prior to grilling--that's for whole caps, so I might cut that to 15-20 mins.

We usually do the whole baby bellas but should work for sliced bigguns in a grill wok. Marinate in a little olive oil and balsamic vinegar, then grill directly, watching them like a hawk.

I would use skewers.

as far as prep, I like to marinate in a rosemary/garlic balsamic vinagrette for ~30 mins prior to grilling--that's for whole caps, so I might cut that to 15-20 mins.

We usually do the whole baby bellas but should work for sliced bigguns in a grill wok. Marinate in a little olive oil and balsamic vinegar, then grill directly, watching them like a hawk.

Both of these sound good to me.

I usually brush with some olive oil and then hit them with Montreal Steak Seasoning.

I treat them like a steak. You can just hit with some seasoning or can marinade them and then throw them on the grill.

I personally like my portobellas marinated in a little bit of soy, rice wine vinegar, ginger, pepper, bay leaf for 15mins then throw over a nice hot fire till they are done. It will be like an umami bomb went off in your mouth.

I like the responses!!! Direct or indirect? I'm assuming it won't take them long either way?

Use to grill whole portabellas after marinated in balsamic and vinegar. Would grill for a while, add a tomato slice and then some cheese- usually a good provolone- Great meal

Sounds good fellas! Can you eat them raw? Not that I want to just wondered? Can they be undercooked. I've never grilled them?

Yep. We have bellas in our salads, always. We just slice and marinate in balsamic for about 30 minutes then use the marinade vinegar to make a vinegrette. Raw mushrooms have a very meaty texture.

another vote for direct...of course, I've also done them reverse sear style when I'm too busy doing other things to watch them closely.

Back