charcoal maze

tkeen

Reaction score
I acquired a large oven 2' X 4' X 6', it has been used for a propane smoker (before I got it) and now I am trying to decide how to configure it. I would like to use a charcoal maze if it will burn plenty long. It is sealed super tight, and has 4" thick insulated walls and top and bottom, and a door like a vault. Do you think I can choke it down and get like 12 hour burns like the UDS does?

I have seen the old metal refrigerators made into smokers. With the right design, insulation, and airflow I am sure it is very possible. Especially if the hard work is already done when it was first converted.

It started life as a electric oven so there wasnt much to be done to it really. It has places for racks about every 4 inches. it is perfect for a smoker. I was wanting to have the fire internally to keep the footprint smaller on the patio.

Drill 1" holes I'm the floor and use the drawer for your FB

Here are pictures of the smoker.

Attachments

• DSCF1163.jpg
    DSCF1163.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 232
  • DSCF1164.jpg
    DSCF1164.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 233
  • DSCF1165.jpg
    DSCF1165.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 233
Thanks, wonder how long i can expect it to run. I see a lot of the mazes have double walled dividers, is that to keep heat from igniting the next row? If I sit it on plate steel will it burn OK and longer or expanded metal bottom raised for airflow but maybe burn faster? I would like to do this right the first time, so sorry for all the questions.

You need expanded meatal bottom so ash can fall thru I think and raised 1-2" off bottom I'd think.
PM sent.

It seems guys with insulated cabinet smokers like Backwoods Party get 8-10-12 hrs with them.

Thanks for the info. That is just minion, no dividers. I'm wondering if it would burn longer with the maze dividers in it, or just put a half chimney of lit in a corner.

I'd make one or order with removable dividers and try both ways. :-D

Clean up inside with wire brush and wipe or wash out then reseason it too. :wink: Does it have intakes and exhaust stack?

It has a couple of holes on the right side at the bottom one about 1 1/2" and 1 that is 3" I am thinking of making a round pipe with a flat end with 3 openings and a cap with the same openings that I can turn to regulate air with. I have 2 exhausts right now a 3" on top and a 2" just down from the top on the side.

I want to build my fire inside the smoker, but I cant figure out how to figure chimney size and intake size. The calculator is only for external firebox design. Is there a ratio for this or is it just a matter of giving it enough air to reach temperature. It is insulated very well so I won't need a huge fire I don't think. Thanks in advance if anyone has any ideas.

Back