Skirt Steak Help!

cirk

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
Got an awesome pack of skirt steaks from Sam's. got em marinating in soy, lemon, garlic, and red pepper. Gonna do tacos with grilled onions and guacamole. But I am looking for a good rub to throw on then before they hit the hot cast iron grates? Help with rub!!!!

Thanks in advance!!!

I would just hit them with some Adobo, Cracked Pepper and slap them on the grate.

Well, they're already gonna have some salt from the soy. I use Fiesta brand's fajita seasoning. I love it.

fajseas.gif

On edit - they make a salt free version of this as well.

I've never done skirts myself, (but have eaten a ton cooked by others).
Seems to me the best "flavor" for a skirt would be (and has been for my taste buds) is a simple S/P.
Too much funky stuff on there might kill the majic a skirt steak is capable of. I couldn't imagine putting any kind of a typical rub on one. Fresh off the grill, sliced up and on my tortilla is how I like 'em.

Just my opinion though.

Yeah, I don't think I'd use a traditional "rub" on them since screamin hot grillin is what's gonna give you the best results and a "rub" will likely have some sugar in it.

Just use Adobo, or even just Lemon Pepper, Lime Pepper or just plain ole S&P, maybe some garlic powder, onion powder, etc.

Sounds good. A good grilled skirt steak, sliced across the grain is some good stuff.

I found a carne asada rub I put on mine. My marinade is more lemon/lime juice, steak sauce, garlic and chillis.

I use the fiesta fajita with no salt. I've had my mexican friends tell how good my fajitas are

The Fiesta fajita seasoning is one of the few commercial blends I use. It is good.

However, some salt, pepper, cayenne, just a little cumin (a little goes a long way), and dried oregano would work. I never put it on heavy like a rub. I use it as a seasoning -- just a dusting.

My Mexican marinade has fresh chopped cilantro in it. I am not a big cilantro fan, but I like it in marinades -- it gives a more subtle cilantro flavor that I can appreciate.

My Mexican marinade base is olive oil -- regular or light, not Extra Virgin. I've never used Soy Sauce, but a little would work as a replacement for salt. I can't imagine using it at the main liquid for a Mexican marinade.

Good luck with your cook.

CD

McCormick's Grill Mates Cowboy rub. It's got coffee and cocoa in it. It's what I always use and it's awesome. I made some just last night on the Weber.

I just did salt and pepper. The steaks were fantastic for dinner and breakfast!! Thanks for the advice guys

Back