• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Trader Joes tri tip

ButtBurner

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
They just built a Trader Joes that's on my way home from work.

I have never really been in one, thought it was yuppie, trendy, whatever.

But I have been slowly checking it out, they do have some different decent stuff there, why I have been going back is because of their charcoal

Well today I discovered their fresh meat dept, honestly I did not think they had one but its pretty interesting.

I saw tri tips. Now I know about the tri tip hype, I used to buy tri tips years ago, but I remember them being a lot bigger, maybe 5-6 lbs, I dont know.

Anyway, I decide to buy one. We are going to our cabin this weekend for a quick trip and I thought it would be cool to make it for the wife and I.

Its small. about 1.5 lbs, $6.99 lb from what I have been reading lately this is the going rate.

When I got it home, I was looking at and it said "product of Australia". Really? that seems so strange to me!!! Cant they just get them in the US?

I am sure its fine and will be great, just shocked the hell out of me

thats all...

thanks

Sounds about the right size for a "ROO" Tri tip:becky:... Just sayin...LOL!!!

Can't comment on the Australian tri tip. But 1.5 lbs is about normal for a nicely trimmed tri tip. Untrimmed, they rarely weigh in at more than 2.75 lbs. Whatever you were buying that weighed 5-6 lbs was not a tri tip, unless there were two whole untrimmed roasts in the package.

They marinade it for that price, right?

Want a great item from TJ's? You've got to try the pumpkin seeds in the nut aisle.

Can't comment on the Australian tri tip. But 1.5 lbs is about normal for a nicely trimmed tri tip. Untrimmed, they rarely weigh in at more than 2.75 lbs. Whatever you were buying that weighed 5-6 lbs was not a tri tip, unless there were two whole untrimmed roasts in the package.

I am taking 10 years or so ago.

I have no idea what it was, probably a sirlion tip of some kind

not really the point, just talking about what I bought today

thanks

Biggest one I've ever had was 5# on the dot......they're never that big nowadays, 3.5 is very large ( untrimmed)

I have no idea at ROO is

but, I have been known to be dense

thanks

KangaROO.

We have a TJ's about a mile from us and I've never found anything there that we didn't like. I haven't tried the tri-tip since I get them at Restaurant Depot, however.

Their rack of lamb is very good. It is pre-seasoned with garlic and rosemary.

Also, the Roasted Red Pepper and Tomato Soup is excellent. We buy two boxes every time we stop there.

KangaROO.

We have a TJ's about a mile from us and I've never found anything there that we didn't like. I haven't tried the tri-tip since I get them at Restaurant Depot, however.

Their rack of lamb is very good. It is pre-seasoned with garlic and rosemary.

Also, the Roasted Red Pepper and Tomato Soup is excellent. We buy two boxes every time we stop there.

Oh ok thanks

I did see a lot of lamb there. I will check out that soup. Is it frozen, or how does it come? I am not familiar with TJ's at all yet. Seems like a neat place. I have been buying their frozen fish fillets, salmon, tuna, etc. Been liking that at lot

I have not yet seen tri tip at my local RD, but I did not really look for it either

Oh ok thanks

I did see a lot of lamb there. I will check out that soup. Is it frozen, or how does it come? I am not familiar with TJ's at all yet. Seems like a neat place. I have been buying their frozen fish fillets, salmon, tuna, etc. Been liking that at lot

I have not yet seen tri tip at my local RD, but I did not really look for it either

It's in a box by the canned soup.

Here is a fun site with lots of good info on TJ's products.

http://traderjoesrecipes.net/

I've been buying USDA Prime Tri tips at Costco for $4.79 a pound they are the big vacuum pack but a great price. There's about six to eight in a pack anywhere from 1.5lb to 3.0

I've been buying USDA Prime Tri tips at Costco for $4.79 a pound they are the big vacuum pack but a great price. There's about six to eight in a pack anywhere from 1.5lb to 3.0

I have never seen them at Costco where I live

Just came across it at Trader Joes, that why I was asking

thanks

That just sounds like a crazy great deal! Any prime beef cuts by me are in the area of $14.00 lb.

TJ's is an excellent store. I do like the charcoal and the meats. Yes, Australia produces a great deal of beef and they can be very competitive on price and quality. I have rarely been disappointed with anything from Trader Joe's.

The beer, wine and booze prices are usually good. Snacks are delicious too.

Sounds like a great find. Im driving 50 miles this weekend in search of my first tri-tip in many years.

I love Trader Joe's. We had one in Annapolis, but not where I live now. Have to drive 3 hours to the closest one :sad:

Try Smart & Final, they have Tri Tips in vacuum pack untrimmed for $3.06 a pound.
Hay TeamGreen you going to the High Desert Music Festival and BBQ Contest?

Back