View Single Post
Old 03-12-2006, 06:51 AM   #7
kickassbbq
is One Chatty Farker

Thanks Jeff,
That experience is exactly why I personally feel it is a waste of my time and MONEY to compete. I know I smoke some average BBQ and maybe not as good as someone that competes, but how would a person know if that's the way it's judged? And, I think ALL contests are probably about the same in the judging issues.
I really do think comps are all about getting together and having fun. That's the most important thing!!!! The winners? Well, probably don't matter as long as everyone has a good time. I really think it is a toss of the coin and your story validates that for me.
I got 2 first place trophys at my first comp and the stuff I turned in was MARGINAL at best in my opinion. What the heck did everyone else turn in on that day? I am sure there was Q better than mine and they didn't win. What's the point?
I am smoking for my friends and family and catering jobs and those people always tell my it's the BEST Q they have ever had. Good enough for me.
If you want to party with a bunch of GREAT people that smoke, go to a comp and have some fun. They should give a trophy to everyone that attends. In MY opinion, those trophies just signify that a person attended and had some fun.
PARTY!!!!!!!!
Smoke On!!!!
ed