• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Coon

Had family members that ate it during the Depression.
They said if it was freshly killed to skin it, disembowel it and roast it like a pot roast.

Google.com has a lot of recipes....http://www.grouprecipes.com/55002/fried-raccoon.html. There are several more too.

I have a good buddy who loves the heck out of a freshly killed woodchuck. He roasts them and claims they taste like rabbit. They are after all herbivores.

I saw a show on tv where Kermit ruffins, New Orleans trumpet player, cook a coon. Boiled it in liquid crab boil then smoked it in a pan with ragu sauce, onions and peppers. It looked good but not something I wld eat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have cooked it before, brined it in white vinegar for 3 or so hours, my buddy cleaned the coon and there are a few glands in the legs that you have to cut out or it'll ruin the meat.

Once a year the old timers have a wild game feed here. Everyone brings something, deer, rabbit, birds, coon, rattlesnake, etc. They have home made cookers going and also dig a big pit for underground cooking.

I've only eaten coon from an underground pit. It's a dark meat and greasy...reminds me of goose. It could be the way the old ranchers cook it but I love it. It's very good, smokey and tender.

When my grandpaw was still alive, we would set traps to catch Coons in, put them in a pin and feed them nothing but butter milk for a week to clean them out. If we would not do that they would be very greasy just like others said. That also works for possums too.

BBQ racoon helped make KC BBQ famous! Cook it KC style!

picture.php

Years ago...
I was drunk and tried it one time. Come to think of it I tried lots of things
while 'Under The Influence'... (No longer drink alcohol or taste test
'Road Kill' type animals)
What I had was greasy and not very good. Not enough alcohol I guess...

Yep I have eaten it quite a few times. Depending on the particular coon in question you will want to choose one over the other.

If it is a bigger and more importantly older and tougher coon, you will want to pressure cook that bad boy til it gets tender and then finish by cooking down in a brown gravy until it is falling apart tender and serve with rice or taters.

If its a smaller more tender coon, it is suitable for roasting. The common method which has already been mentioned is to season them up and roast them in a pan with cut up sweet potatoes.

Most importantly though however you decide to cook it, be sure that you remove all, and I do mean ALL of the fat. Coon fat is nasty! Also do make sure you get rid of those glands which are also bad news.

Its pretty good actually. Tastes a lot like beef.

When I was in Australia they had a brand of cheese called coon.......

Sent from my Galaxy S3

After a court battle that inferred the name was Racist, the family named Coon have been allowed ,to keep the brand name as well.
I love my tasty Coon cheese.
Cheers.
Titch

If cooked right it is good, just make sure your remove the musk glands. If we keep heading in the same direction all us may be eating us some coon!! We have a farm full of em in alabama just in case you get a hankering for some!!!!!

Waaaaay back, as a kid, my buddy and I snared rabbits. We would sell the pelts and give his dad the meat for Rabbit pot pies. My neighbor hit a coon coming back from work and gave it to us and after skinning it we thought hmmmm.

gave cleaned carcass to my mom (his dad would know the difference) and told her it was a rabbit. Distinctly remember mom saying it was a big one...Don't remember any off\greasy taste and we ate all of it....told mom week or so later and she just laughed.

Saw these at the local Wal Mart. Guess they were gonna eat them. :confused:

Attachments

• coons.jpg
    coons.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 38
Coon is best cooked in an inground pit.
Dig a hole, dump in coals and embers, place coon on top and cover hole with dirt.
Now just walk away from the pit and forget about it. Forever!

I have eaten many, many coons. I used to keep a pack of Plotts, blueticks, and redbones. I was out there hunting about every night through the fall and winter. Coon is like anything else-it can be good or it can be horrible, depending on the coon, what it's been eating, and especially depending on the cook. If people treated filet mignon the way they handle and try to cook wild game most of the time, it wouldn't be fit to eat, either.

Coon is really good bbq'd. I always laugh at people describing coon or other animals as "greasy," but then they like pork and beef. There is no meat on earth greasier than pork, and what's that running down your arm when you're eating a ground beef taco? :biggrin1: . Coon is not as good as groundhog, but it can be excellent. Pick a young coon, clean and handle it right, remove those musk glands in the armpits, cook it right, and it's good.

Back