Are you a pitmaster?

Im not even master of my own domain.

Like someone already stated, im a pyro, with a love for cooking, i love toys, tools, and smoked meat. Q combines all of this, keeps me busy, and pleases my small crowd.

It is my addiction, well, that and budweiser. See, life is good.

Well I am master of my domain. :shock: However, I am am not a Pitmaster . I am always trying to improve my cooking and able to compensate for issues. During a recent cook it was 20-30 degrees outside and the turkey breast was not going to make it in the WSM mini even with the blanket. Moved to the oven and we had the best smoked turkey ( first try) we have had. The family always says my Q is better than any resteraunt.

I am very critical of my cooking. Always looking for comments for improvement. Usually don't get any from the friends and family.

Nope !! The rules say that you can't be "The sauce whisperer" and pitmaster at the same time.:wink: Never really thought much of "Tags". I just do what I do and do my best each time out.

Most of what I cook is edible now and I've ruined a lot of meat over the years. Does that qualify me?

I would say from personal experience that you're at very least WELL on your way if not already there, wherever there is....

Rare is a "pitmaster" that hasnt ruined more meat than he/she cares to think about...

Not sure I'll ever call myself a 'Pit Master'.
I've mastered several kinds of pits, but I haven't worked with a few enough to include myself in that category.
I've been helping or BBQing for more than 50 yrs. Some days I'm the Master, some days I come up a little short of perfection...
I've never been interested in entering a BBQ comp. but I enjoy watching others. I've stolen lots of great ideas watching others BBQ.
I can say the same thing about stealing ideas on BBQ Brethren.
I just can't take credit for stealing your ideas. :twitch:

Last edited:
No Im No Pit Master..... AFTER Finding this site I learned That what I learned from my Dad was that I Knew how to Pick a good steak And grill It......Oh and briskit. He figured it out but I only hit it 65-75% of time But Nothing really about the art/ Lifestyle/Fun And all else of Smoking stepping outside the box Etc.Again I learned more here in one browsing session that would have taken me 15 years and $150,000 dollars to figure it out !But Now Im right back where I started KISS and I Know what I Know and I Know How Much I dont Know !:blah::blah::blah::wacko::wacko::wacko::arrow::crazy::loco::icon_smile_tongue:

Last edited:
Of course I am the master of my pit, just ask the wife!!! Oh wait, not don't do that :biggrin1:

I haven't been on this particular forum for long, in fact I think this is my first post. I also see this is an old post, but obviously I sought it out having the same question.

I have a hard time accepting a title like that. Seems like the title is earned and needs to be bestowed. I feel like I have "mastered" my pit, including may types of fuels, and I consistently turn out great que in just about any circumstance! Ive taken titles in BBQ competitions, and contests. BUT ive never been given that title, or refered to as "pitmaster". For me its not just a thing you decide you are one day, and maybe that's the humility aspect needed, like if you decide you are one, but no one else does, maybe that's a sign youre not..
Until my peers in the BBQ world/ comp world or otherwise start to refer to me that way, or until im operating in that capacity for an organization/restaurant (not that a restaurant cook is somehow an instant pitmaster) I don't think ill take the title for myself.
I feel like I deserve the title personally, but I don't think the call is mine to make.

Writing this it feels like im being too serious or whatever about it, but Pitmaster is a pretty serious title to claim.

I just really enjoy grilling / smoking outside in our lovely garden while feeding my family and friends good things.

They claim I'm the "Grill Meister" but i tell them that "in the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king..." :wink:

I consider myself a pitmaster only in the context of being the person in charge of the smoker. I don't think I'll ever master the art of barbecue and I'll never get tired of trying. I'll be trying new methods and ideas for the rest of my days and be satisfied that people enjoyed the product I produced.

Why, yes, yes I am.

It is even listed on official stuffs like KCBS Team name, and contests I have entered.

That said, perhaps the most important saying I've learned in my 43 years on this planet: ancora imparo.

When the smoke hits my nostrils, I know I'm off duty . It's a calm that descends over me when I do BBQ and there's nothing like it. I'm a pitmaster in my own head and that's what counts!!

I still have a lot to learn myself. I have learned a lot on this site, from books, and from just firing up the pit and doing. As in other areas of life, some days I am the fire hydrant, and some days I am the dog. I prefer being the dog, but it doesn't always work out that way. :)

I'm a student. Will probably always be.
I cook for myself and hope my family enjoys it.
Only recently did I get brave enough to cook for friends and co-workers.

I treat my brisket's like they are final exams. The rest are side shows to mix it up.
I have a text-book - Aaron Franklin's book.
And then I do it my own way anyway.

A Pit Master I am, I've worked long & hard to achieve that level.

I am a retired farmer, a jack of all trades and a master of none of them. That includes BBQ. Barry

Back