How much wood should I get.

Flying_Spaghetti_Monster

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I will be smoking a turkey on Thanksgiving, and smoking a two pork shoulders on Saturday. My pit is a 24" pipe 3'3" long, and a fire box 18" wide 3'2'' long. I am planning on getting apple because I like milder flavors, and I am wonder how many bundles I should get.

i would try to get at least half cord delivered. much cheaper then buying bundles

Be careful with the turkey. Poultry LOVES smoke. You can easily make it inedible if you're not careful.

A cord of wood is enough for dozens of cooks - measured tightly stacked 4 ft deep by 4 feet tall by 8 feet long.
Would be enough for a full summer of cooking :thumb:

small_cord_of_wood.jpg

Last edited:
If it was me.... I would go get a couple of bags of lump charcoal and some chunks of wood plus another turkey for a backup plan.

Straight wood on an untried cooker, cooking a Thanksgiving dinner for family and friends could be a problem.

I have been smoking for 15+ years and I remember the first turkey I cooked.
A little smoke goes a LONG way on poultry! Let's just say I'm glad it was only .39 a pound:roll:

fil

If you are firing it up for the first time go ahead and season the pit. While it's seasoning, go to the store and buy a couple whole chickens and try them out first. Then you will have a good idea for your Turkey.

Back