Coming to you LIVE Tonight! - My 2nd Brisket attempt on the Weber Kettle

bigabyte

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
That's right, this thread will be posted LIVE with real-time updates!:whoo: With the required FCC delay to approve my pictures of course!:becky: Apparently they are worried I might post something inappropriate.:der: The delay is just a few minutes, so it might as well be live.:nod:

Here is the current image from the camera looking at the Kettle all set up for tonight's cook.

r_IMG_1588.jpg

The One Touch blades are closed as far as I can get them and still see a slit when looking staight down upon them. I have pushed a full size aluminum pan into one side of the kettle to serve as a drip pan. I filled the pan with a gallon of water to work as a heat sink, and maybe even to provide moisture into the cooker, but I'm not going to divulge that particular secret and leave it up to you to figure out on your own!:becky: What I will say is that the first time I cooked a brisket in a Kettle, it ran hot until I added water to the pan, so it seems to have a positive effect on temperature control.

I filled the other side of the pan in with a layer of charcoal, and then placed in six small chunks of Pecan heartwood, and then covered those with charcoal up to grate level. I left a spot on the right side to place six lit coals when I fire up the cooker. Last time I used a dozen coals to start the fire, and felt that was too much. So I will use six coals this time.

Let's take another look at that camera, shall we?

r_IMG_1588.jpg

One thing I forgot to mention, I put some charcoal dust in the water pan. This is important.

The cooker will be fired up around 11pm Central time tonight. Until then I won't have much to announce for you, so enjoy the camera feed. I'll be back later with more.:thumb:

r_IMG_1588.jpg

Do we get to see anything more than a farking mangled aluminum foil pan? This isn't FOXNews, show us something worth seeing.

CD

Hoping I can learn from you tonight, Chris. After my first brisket attempt on the kettle yesterday, I need all the help I can get. :oops:

I notice that all of the charcoal is not 'K' up, also that the 'K's that are up, and somewhat randomly jumbled in there. Are you, I mean, I am not saying that, well, I am really, saying that you are not going to get a clean light, even burn and a good Minion preheat, if the easy light 'K's are not properly linked.

Are you crazy, throwing up in the face of both tradition and common knowledge like this?

I notice that all of the charcoal is not 'K' up, also that the 'K's that are up, and somewhat randomly jumbled in there. Are you, I mean, I am not saying that, well, I am really, saying that you are not going to get a clean light, even burn and a good Minion preheat, if the easy light 'K's are not properly linked.

Are you crazy, throwing up in the face of both tradition and common knowledge like this?

He'll just Photoshop the results, and continue to make the noobs think he knows what he's doing. :rolleyes:

CD

The sun has set. Let's see how that camera is holding up.

r_IMG_1590.jpg

Hmmmm...

Looks kinda yellow.:wacko:

I hope this is not a sign of things to come.:sick:

I blame Marty Leach. I know that was clean water I put in there originally.

I have noticed that in order to properly align the endpoints of the K's, that they need to be in a somewhat jumbled looking pattern. It's not easy making sure that each and ever end point for each and every K is touching another endpoint of a different K.

So I said fark it.

talk about catering to the west coast!
Well, that wasn't in my original plan, but I suppose I could hold it warm in the car as I head out that way. Since I would be driving West, I can't leave it in the back window like when I went to Maryland a couple weeks ago. I might have to put it under the hood, next to the engine somewhere.

Keep the beer cold for me!

Mighty Fine Big! I attempted a "Live cook" a while back only to find that real life has a way of taking over.

It's a Great thing to be able to do one. :thumb:

Mighty Fine Big! I attempted a "Live cook" a while back only to find that real life has a way of taking over.

It's a Great thing to be able to do one. :thumb:
It requires a good internet connection. That's all.:becky:

Well, I'm off to prep the brisket. Pics soon!

Where is the streaming video link again?

This has the feel of a big net work production, the promos comming @ 6pm to stay tuned, repeated often...
Then the main event starts @ 8pm

I figure to see progress @ 8:45. Then Robert Irvine will state this was the hardest brisket he's ever seen.

Tonight's brisket is brought to you by Sam's Club. It is a USDA Prime Brisket which I picked out because it looked pretty good, and it was only 30 cents more per pound than the Choice Angus ones they had.

r_IMG_1591.jpg

I trimmed it up a little.

r_IMG_1594.jpg

And then seasoned it with a dusting of non-iodized table salt, followed by a layer of Foil Hat Rub, some Black Pepper, and some Canadian Steak Seasoning.

r_IMG_1595.jpg

I'll be firing up the cooker shortly!:cool:

What the fark is up with Photobucket rotating images?:confused: It's been happening a lot lately, and the originals aren't rotated. Even if I rotate them back to the correct orientation using Photobuckets photo editor...they are still showing up here incorrectly.:mad:

Oh well...that's really not such a bad problem to be having I suppose. At least the brisket is OK.

Back