• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Rutabagas! Ugh

Ashmont

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
? Dumbarse hunter not me planted a chitload of Rutabagas and beets to attract deer.. LOL Didnt see a one now he has left me about 12 bushels of these.. Any Idear what to do with them.. I sure you will laugh at my situation and lots of brethren will be getting these as presents soon.. :doh:

Well,not THAT many,but roasted rutabagas are mitee tastee.

1) Cook with bacon. Lots of bacon.
2) Give to neighbors. Lots of neighbors.
3) Start catapult competition to compete with Punkin Chunkin. Bombard neighbors out to 1-2 miles away when they complain about rutabagas left on porch.
4) Experiment with ways to cook to convert starches to sugars. Then ferment/distill to make either a potent drink or a biofuel.
5) Set up neighborhood rutabaga-bocce court. Buy lots of beer for neighbors to drink while playing. May make up for leaving rutabagas on porch. Probably won't for roof damage due to rutabaga bombardment.

Boil em and mash em like potatoes. They take forever to boil, but they're tasty when done. Just add a little milk and a stick of butter when mashing.

Give em a chance (and my fingers are still crossed for you).

First item in a pot for a boiled dinner w/corned beef Marty.
Fire house staple up here in my neck of the woods.

All of the above!!!
muttley.gif

Since the only 2 foods that I can't stand are rutabagas and beets, I am of absolutely no help to you.

Rutabagas are great boiled and mashed with salt and pepper. It makes a good side dish for steak. Add some Brussel Sd-prouts and you have some fine eats.:-D

I thought you had some kind of gas related to a vegetable or something.....

As stated previously, they ARE good boiled and mashed, but I like to mix them, 50/50 WITH mashed potatoes.

Sliced, some EVOO, salt and pepper, then indirect for about 30 minutes... normally takes a little longer than potatoes. The beet release a little more juice but they are good this way too, you can try them on a baking sheet instead.

As mentioned - turnip (rutabaga) are good boiled and mashed with some butter and pepper.

Enjoy!

You are obviously not Norwegian, or you would not have asked.

Rutabaga diced, boiled, butter, salt, pepper.
Beets, sliced, boiled, butter, salt, pepper.

Good eats.

the rutabagas make a killer stew or mashed the beets you are stuck with

At the risk of getting a box of beets, I love roasted beets. Rub em up with a little oil, into the kettle at 350f, indirect, roast just like potato. Peel and eat.

Take then to the nearest deer sanctuary (since thats who they were grown for originally) and dump them off so all the deer can feast for Christmas. :idea:

Back