thaw time...

Big Sexy

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
How many days does it take for a 10 lb butt to fully thaw in refrigerator; after being taken out of a deep freezer?

...and after it is fully thawed; how many days is it good in the fridge until it needs to be cooked?

thanks in advance!

I like to give them ~7 days to make sure they are completely thawed. That's in a ~36F fridge. Cheers!!!

I had a 14lb prok shoulder thaw in about 2.5days in my beer fridge(slightly warner then my standard fridge) and for how long it will be good after thawed it depends on the packaging method. If its cryo wraped then I would say up too a week but I try not to use anything more then 2 to 3 days after its compleatly thawed.

^^^so what you keep your fridge at will play a huge role in thaw time!

Didn't think that open doors will also effect results! So if its my Beer fridge then I might be used more then I'd like to admit to the general public! :icon_blush:

I had a 14lb prok shoulder thaw in about 2.5days in my beer fridge(slightly warner then my standard fridge) and for how long it will be good after thawed it depends on the packaging method. If its cryo wraped then I would say up too a week but I try not to use anything more then 2 to 3 days after its compleatly thawed.

Your beer fridge should be slightly colder then your standard fridge :tsk:

4-5moths a year I get to use the Canadian beer fridge! The rest of the year the bar fridge is mostly used to thaw large peices of meat.

canadian-beer-fridge.jpg

If your frozen pork shoulder is sealed in plastic, like a cryovac package, you can thaw it quickly, easily and safely in a water bath.

I use a big soup pot, but a beer cooler or 5-gallon bucket works, too.

Just put the sealed up roast in the container, and fill it with cold tap water. The water acts as a thermal sync, and your roast will safely thaw in a mater of hours, not days.

CD

Sorry, no offense. It's just that homebrewing/beer is another one of my obsessions. The only beer I've ever tasted that needed to be served colder than my fridge was BMC. It's nasty when it's warmer. Good homebrew or craft brewed, Ales in particular, are much tastier @ ~50F. YMMV. Cheers!!!

Here's a link about beer serving temps. Just jump down to the temperature section.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beer#Temperature

Flip side... place it in a cooler with a bag of ice... the natural melting rate will control the thaw... 3-4 days.

Back